Fordmods Logo

DOHC CONVERSION INTO ED 

Page 9 of 12 [ 168 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post subject: Re: DOHC CONVERSION INTO ED
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

this will be a mod of biblical preportions if you get the ZF 6 speed working in an E-series yo!

she dream't she was a bulldozer, she dream't she was alone in a field

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Dohc el futura, ea falcon

VIC, Australia

Jester-BOC wrote:
cheers for that info!
im just not familiar with that light, i guess i dont really pay attention to it when a car is running :oops:

i havent had the funds to get the car towed to ford and pay for the reprogramming yet, as i also have to get another key cut (minimum of two) got my wedding coming up in a month so it has to go down in the list of priorites for now :D im sure once that has been done it will start first go.
although i do need to sort out the fuel cuttoff light, might need a new fuel cuttoff switch i think ive tampered with mine a bit.

Yeah i saw that extesive job of re-welding the au door inners! was i really good job and a perfect fit. I have actually already done a complete ba interior coversion before, about three years ago now, it was black xr6t leather (dash all door trims and all rear seats etc...) think it may have been the first one ever from memory, i blew that car up though........ oops.
what i did with that gap problem the first time is just make up an L shaped plug that screws into the door inner and fits snug under the trim. providing its done properly it looks good.
then the only real difference between the welding option is that one you will see steel in the gap and with my option you can have steel or vinyl or wood or plastic or whatever you make the bracket out of, really it is a much quicker option and theres not much difference visually, the trim is still strong and works 100%.
Cheers
Jesse

hey do u happen to have a picture of the l shaped plug ur using for the doors trims?

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

I must say that what your doing to your ride is awesome. I've been wiating for someone to upgarde their E-series gearbox to a ZF as I wanted to do the same for my EL-XR6.

Just one question though, can you use the ZF with an EL eninge?

Great work mate, cant wait to see it finished.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ed xr6 with bf turbo everything

WA, Australia

the car i had with all the ba rear seats is now long gone and so are the l shaped plugs i made. quite easy to make your own, just fit the door trim up and whatever gap is left over you make up a plate to fill it. its not a big gap anyway, i still havent gotaround to that on this project, just because its not very obvious.

as for the zf gearbox with an e series motor i would expect that to be quite difficult (not impossible)
the zf gearbox has a fused bell housing on it, so you cant take it off and use an au one like you would with the 4speed. maybe possible to make custom holes or an adapter plate but im not sure. also you would need some standalone ecu to operate the zf as it has its own module inside which is married to the bf/fg pcm, so far i dont think there is any standalone ecu to do all this yet, so overall it would be time consuming and expensive, by the time you have done that you could have funded a complete conversion (much easier in the long run.

update on my car

everything is done, ive completely re-wired the car to bf2 can 2 standard. everything is in and all the vital signs are there, i now need to get it all reset and finally a tune.
however it dosent stop there. i now have a nizpro plenum, rocker cover, ported and flowed turbo with modded wastegate acctuator, surge tank and external fuel pump, catch can, and a few other bits and peices to add to the madness so will be a little bit more time spend but well worth it in the long run.

i will attempt to post some pics up tonight.
cheers jesse

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

sorry some of the photos are night shots so they arent the best

close up of temporary crossmember for zf 6 speed
mods to access new pins lhs
mods to access new pins rhs
beautiful image of k fame and suspension rolled under
me getting intimate with my new k frame
close up of zf roughly in position
close up on plates and welds
finished k frame mods rhs
trial fit motor to mount gearbox crossmember
lining up gearbox with trial fit motor
au engine mounts seemed more suitable at the time
cheers scott for the help your wagon is next
wagon which will be receiving the fg xr6t 4wd treatment
au diff install to match rim offset and accept brembos soon
xr wagon again
motor back in
new 19" rims in au offset to suit ba k frame etc
ba k frame complete and 6 speed in place
new rims
xplode sub to go with premium sound gear
factory bf2 premium sound amp in boot
bad photo of my premium sound addition (10"xplode sub)
6 speed shifter
sound active boost and oil press gauges i love this mod these are good gauges matching the cluster
new bf2 cluster with 6 speed and traction provisions
au leather rear seats
au leather seats with moniters
zf box from exhaust side
zx box from pass side
everything in including ALL bf2 wiring (eng body and dash)

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

awesome update.
looking forward to the wagon too :D

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Sapphire

VIC, Australia

Love the build!!!
Would be an awesome thing to do....one day maybe :wink:

'98 EL Turbo Falcon Sapphire
With custom everything..

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

so u got the pins and cut the area around the pins out?..could u explain how u put them in?..just im doing this in one of my cars and im finding out different ways to do it

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Wow, nice update! I'm impressed. Keep at it!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

just noticed i didnt write it..but in talking bout the k frame

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

yes the wagon is going to be a fun build im looking forward to it, going to be alot of things done differently this time round in regards to mounting the dash and more attention to detail.

mounting the k frame is a bit difficult due to crush tubes that need to be removed and getting everything lined up 100%
what we did was hung the motor and gearbox (that suits the new k frame) in the engine bay with no k frame in and mounted the gearbox up, from there we could get an accurate measurement on an engine mount bolt hole, (you could just measure the overall lenth of gearbox and up to a point on the motor to work off, with everything ouside of the car, but actually mounting it all up will guarantee accuracy)

so we used a engine mount bolt hole to govern the position of the k frame, then bolted the mounts onto the kframe and measured the distance from that bolt hole to the first locating pin, we then tranferred that measurement over to the car where our engine mount bolt mark was. (only to discover that e series use the same locator in the exact same position) so that was a bonus and one less hole to drill.

we bought some 3mm by 50mm flat bar (6 metres worth)
drilled 2 templates up to fit the k frame and also to use as a stencil on the chassis rails.

with all the holes marked out you can then see which "old" crush tubes were going to interfere with the new ones, these were removed, from memory there was 3 on each side, 2 that run vertical through the rail and one horizontal one, we used a small grinder on the horizontal one and used a steel hole saw for the other 2.

with that sorted we could then drill the holes for the new crush tubes and pins (8 of each) the first two closest to the firewall needed to be pinned from the bottom up due to no room to drop the pin through the top (strut towers in the way) the front 2 were dropped from the top down.

so on one side of the rail we drilled a pin sized hole and opposite to that we drilled a crush tube sized hole, we then welded the crush tubes in place on our templates and lifted the whole lot into the rail and welded it in. (this essentially meant that there was additional strength to the chassis rail because of the templates sandwiched ontop and bottom of the rail. this also sealed everything off nicely.
one downside to the 3mm template on the underside of the rail is you endup with 3mm added to the ride height in the front which isnt much really. but this also lowers themotor a touch which helps the bonnet collision problem a bit.
its then a case of lifting the k frame up and bolting it together, the rear 2 pins may need a nut welded to the bottom to help tighten them up.

its hard to write the process down so i hope that makes sense. i should have taken some more detailed photos to help with that.

ill be happy to help with any more questions.

cheers Jesse

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:35 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au falcon ute

WA, Australia

Awesome job mate , you make it all look too easy. My mate had those gauges and holder in his ba and they really don't hold up well in the sun . The gauge pods warped and the gauges started playing up ,but you should be ok if you use one of those sun visor things.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

cheers for the info on that, not good news tho.... payed alot of money for them hopefully they hold up

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Impressive and inspirational work once again my friend.

I really need to find some $$$$ to finish my Barra conversion. I envy you in that you will be able to drive yours soon.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

cheers benj can say the same for all your work!
i have actually had mine running with the 4 speed, was using it as a daily for roughly 2 months untill i got more ides.....
what exactly is left on your project till you can fire it up?

cheers Jesse

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 12  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next