Fordmods Logo

Dont use an au head with e series cam and rockers 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Dont use an au head with e series cam and rockers
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well after reading about how it can be done and how it works perfectly, like a dumbass i went and did it.
Im telling you all now it cant be done and run reliably or without causing some wear/damage.
The lip on the front end of the cam which gives you end float is .1mm smaller on the e series compared to au which in time will wear the head and possibly other valvetrain components because of too much end float.
The valves are only making between half and 3/4 contact with the lifters because the e series rocker gear sits too far forward and isnt perfectly lined up.
For some reason the e series cam didnt spin as freely in the head(without rocker gear or cam gear on))
The au rocker gear lines up dead on square with the tops of the valves.
Now tops of valves that dont make a good contact with lifters and dont line up square is just a recipe for bent and damaged destruction.
Call me a liar or whatever but i just did it and it was a dogs breakfast at best.
So stop saying it can be done, unless you want to prove me wrong and do it yourself.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Post subject: Re: Dont use an au head with e series cam and rockers
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

whilst ive never tried or seen if it works, i can say that even on my car after pulling the rocker gear on & off so many times that the HLA's some of them only have 3/4 contact with the valve and everything has been running fine for a long time now. And the cam is hard to spin with the rocker gear off as well.

So you might be worried about nothing maybe?

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Comments are welcome from anyone who has actually done this and not just talked about it.
I have proof.
I would rather be 100% sure than be satisfied with good enough, because i did drive the car with the e series gear and it went ok.
Being that i did a trade for 4 years in mechanics and was taught to do things the right way not any other way, i couldnt be happy with the fit of the e series rocker gear and drive around knowing it wasnt right so it had to come off.
So yes it did fit and if you are happy with second best i would highly recommend it.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Take pictures and post them up dude.....a picture says a thousand words... :)

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

This is a confirmation of what my local cylinder head reconditioner has told me. Apparently, the AUs have a different rocker ratio to the E-series. Hence, he said not to mix and match the rocker gear, cam & heads as you've done.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
This is a confirmation of what my local cylinder head reconditioner has told me. Apparently, the AUs have a different rocker ratio to the E-series. Hence, he said not to mix and match the rocker gear, cam & heads as you've done.

yep, different...1.8:1 v 2:1.

But it has nevertheless been stated on here that it is possible to tranfer E series rocker gear onto an AU head. I have never tried it so can't comment on compatibility, but goes to show not to believe everything written on the internet.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

skidder wrote:
Shortshift wrote:

But it has nevertheless been stated on here that it is possible to tranfer E series rocker gear onto an AU head. I have never tried it so can't comment on compatibility, but goes to show not to believe everything written on the internet.

You missed the point there dude the post isnt about that, i did use matching e series cam and rocker gear.
I know they are different ratios it is common knowledge.
Sometimes i wonder why i bother haha :roll: like talking to a dead cat :P

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:24 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

green car wrote:
Comments are welcome from anyone who has actually done this and not just talked about it.
I have proof.
I would rather be 100% sure than be satisfied with good enough, because i did drive the car with the e series gear and it went ok.
Being that i did a trade for 4 years in mechanics and was taught to do things the right way not any other way, i couldnt be happy with the fit of the e series rocker gear and drive around knowing it wasnt right so it had to come off.
So yes it did fit and if you are happy with second best i would highly recommend it.

while i know its possible to do and ive seen au engines with e series cams but they were also using e series valves and valve springs..
but i havnt seen any long term effects as yet...
interesting!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

It can be done and will work but i personally wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy because in my eyes it would cause undue wear and eventually some sort of failure.I can imagine it would smash little chips out of the tops of the valves because of the lack of full contact and then it would develop from there :(
I am just glad i could shed some light on the subject for future reference.

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

green car wrote:
skidder wrote:
Shortshift wrote:

You missed the point there dude the post isnt about that, i did use matching e series cam and rocker gear.
I know they are different ratios it is common knowledge.
Sometimes i wonder why i bother haha :roll: like talking to a dead cat :P

I think you missed the point that I wasn't referring to your post at all, but the one from the guy who wasn't certain about the differences between the ratios, hence why I quoted his post and not yours.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah sorry dude, well i may very well be the dead cat i have been talking to because i just checked my old ef head and rockers and they dont line up either.
I have just wasted some time but i did find out that e series rockers arent lined up with the valves perfectly like the au ones, so as someone stated earlier i may be worring about sweet fa.
I still am quite surprised at how misaligned the e series rockers are from the factory but obviously they can last for ever because not 1 person has had a problem.
Even though i feel like a pioneer as such because no one could tell me for sure....
Ok i am now ready for the piss takers :?

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I really hope this roundabout upside down post does help 1 person because it has been an utter headf..k and my street is sick of me swearing my head off at full tilt. haha," let us never speak of this EVER again"

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

I have heard people have seen this done with no drama's at all. but then again, a little bit of s**t goes a long way....

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

the end float is concerning.
but i've worked on alot of E engines, i haven't seen one yet that has all 12 rocker tips lining up properly with the valves.

though i dont think we can say the end float is an issue until a number of cams have been tried. it could just have been a worn cam in a warn head.

at the end of it all though, it ran and didn't bend valves. SO every one that has blabed on about bending valves and BLAH BLAH BLAH has just been proven wrong.
know what i want to see now, E rocker gear in an AU with a stock AU cam.
turn the motor over by hand to see if it will hurt anything

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

a bit over 11% more lift....

mmm...fairly large step, there are aftermarket cams with more so I would think it may clear without issue (i figure around 490-95 gross lift from a rough guess). Would definately want to check it though.

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next