dyno tune on gas? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: dyno tune on gas?
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:09 am 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

ive got a 94 ED wagon on duel fuel and im wondering if a dyno tune is worth it? i dont know much about them so im wondering what the pro's nd con's are. thanks any info ion them would be good

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Post subject: Re: dyno tune on gas?
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You can buy yourself a chip, they are pretty much all the same for plug in chips, the front page top banner has a chip that you can purchase pre tuned pretty cheaply.

But the answer is no, its not worth it, unless you have lots to spend.

Factors are, you can make it better, but do you want to spend $5k on a <$5k car?

Get yourself a factory gas BA, they run well, designed for gas, higher compression, designed by engineers to last a long time. An EL, like mine and yours, loses power on gas because its designed to run on petrol, we are lucky enough to be able to commute so damn cheaply on lpg and have it very reliable in a good car.

I wouldnt waste a single moment trying to tune it yourself either, not worth it.

Unless you can use a timing light correctly, but the benefits are minimal and not worth the time, cos with lpg, ignition timing needs to be as high as possible at idle / cruise, and much lower at high rpm, distributors dont operate like that without high modification or a custom tuneable ecu, which im not sure how far the plug in ones can go..

But long of the short, its not really worth doing ecu mods imo.

Mods that are worth it, autospeed.com, read as much as you can, they are brilliant!
Pump your tyres upto 42psi, file back any part of the intake snorkel that imposes on a smooth flow of air into the engine. Change the oil every 8,000 so the engine lasts longer :)

Want performance, buy a 5L or a 5.7L VT or VX commodore in manual variant, 180-210rwkw, then get the LS1 MAFLESS mod extra 60rwkw! Rock on!

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:10 am 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

ok. i wasnt looking for a chip or anything like that. i was just wondering how a dyno tune works compared to a normal tune. im only asking because its due for its next gas tune/ service.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh at a dyno tune they tune everything, which you need a plug in chip for.

If you rock up in a standard falcon, all they can tune is the ignition system (advance/retard) and any mechanic can do that so there is no point, unless you have that chip, but you wont gain what you spend anyways :)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

a dyno is not really essential. but having it tuned with a quality A/F meter on it by some one who knows how to tune gas would be of benefit.
just make sure you tell them if you want power or economy or a happy medium between the two.

I can tune my setup for good power but consumption goes way up. I can tune it for economy but power drops away sharply. i pretty much run on the economy tune all the time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]