Fordmods Logo

Dyno tune on my EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Dyno tune on my EL
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:56 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, just wondering if its worth tuning my Falcon with the TI Performance J3 chip, I've done some mods to it:

- CMS stage 2a cam
- CMS stage 3 head
- AU Falcon head gasket
- Pacemaker 4499s, high flow stainless magnaflow cat and 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust
- Intake side is getting mods, bigger snorkel and territory pipe from airbox to throttle body
- Running on Shell 98

Another thing I don't like is how unresponsive the auto is, you can floor it in D, and it takes about 2 seconds to think about it, before it kicks down a gear, than another gear and it takes off. I hear the J3 can control trans? Is there anything we can do to improve this other than a manual conversion?

To me its like the auto box ruins this car, it feels slower than my diesel Focus even with all its mods (it probably isn't really, just feels like it).

I'm in Victoria, is there anyone in the northern suburbs who can tune TI Performance J3? I don't mind travelling all over Vic if I have to.

Also is there any off the shelf long range fuel tanks for these things? I'd like a bit more fuel capacity, as I'm using around 11-15L/100km with an average speed of 54km/h.

Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: Dyno tune on my EL
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Check out last 2 pages of TI Performance post in ECU, FUEL SYSTEMS AND TUNING forum. My last 2 posts should answer your questions.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

As for long range tanks, maybe a Fairlane tank, although they are only 10l or so more. Or lpg duel fuel conversion.
Visit the TI Performance website for a big list of tuners in vic.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

dyno tuning will be beneficial. if not just to check your afr's, but to tune it so you are running to target afr's. depending on how close jase got the tune, which is usually pretty close, it may help your fuel consumption. i got mine tuned at A1 gas and mechanical in hallam if you dont mind travelling. ive PM'd you the details.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

As for long range tanks, maybe a Fairlane tank, although they are only 10l or so more. Or lpg duel fuel conversion.
Visit the TI Performance website for a big list of tuners in vic.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yes you will need a tune, speak to Paul at CVE performance he will sort you out.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

You don't have to tune it but it won't hurt either. The CMS 2a cam running quite well without the need for a tune. Having said that a tune will not hurt and could improve slightly.

A J3 will be able to help with you line pressures etc on the gearbox, assisting shifting. I know the SCT Chip can do this. Eliminates the need for a shift kit. Set you economy swith as the std shifts and when of engages your new shifts.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
You don't have to tune it but it won't hurt either. The CMS 2a cam running quite well without the need for a tune. Having said that a tune will not hurt and could improve slightly.

A J3 will be able to help with you line pressures etc on the gearbox, assisting shifting. I know the SCT Chip can do this. Eliminates the need for a shift kit. Set you economy swith as the std shifts and when of engages your new shifts.

Yeah, it drives fine with the 2a cam, but it idles odd and sorta miss fires and shakes the car, but it was doing that when it was stock too.

Plus with a tune maybe we can sort out fuel economy haha.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:50 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

What car is it?

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

If it was idling rough when it was stock then you may want to run a diagnostic and test engine sensors before doing anything else. Faulty sensors can make it idle strange, and would almost certainly be affecting potential performance. Everything needs to be working as it should, before dyno tune especially.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Damoo wrote:
SWC wrote:

Yeah, it drives fine with the 2a cam, but it idles odd and sorta miss fires and shakes the car, but it was doing that when it was stock too.

You will want to get any missfire, idle issues, etc fixed up before you try a dyno tune.

What have you replaced to try and fix the idle?

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If you change the cam from stock, you will need a tune. You should always tune the car after a cam change. People say the ECU adapts but they do bugger all, it may idle a little better after a while but you wont get anywhere near its potential without a tune. You will also have crap fuel economy and destroy your cat-converter.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
What car is it?

97 EL Fairmont Ghia

roughredXR6 wrote:
If it was idling rough when it was stock then you may want to run a diagnostic and test engine sensors before doing anything else. Faulty sensors can make it idle strange, and would almost certainly be affecting potential performance. Everything needs to be working as it should, before dyno tune especially.

Hasn't brought up any lights on the dash, but I might go over it with the scan tool at a mates workshop, clear all the codes and rescan to see what it picks up.

SWC wrote:
Damoo wrote:
SWC wrote:

You will want to get any missfire, idle issues, etc fixed up before you try a dyno tune.

What have you replaced to try and fix the idle?

All ignition leads and spark plugs, was going to change coil but the mechanic who did my head said it was the new type so don't bother.

I pulled off the ISC, its carboned up but I'm not going to bother to clean it, going to get a new one instead.

Even when it was stock, if you revved it up to 2000 RPM and let it go back to idle while in neutral, around 1400 RPM it would missfire and shake, and pop out the exhaust dropping down to idle.

At idle it shakes for a split second every few seconds, kinda like its going to stall but no drop in RPM.

GeZza200 wrote:
If you change the cam from stock, you will need a tune. You should always tune the car after a cam change. People say the ECU adapts but they do bugger all, it may idle a little better after a while but you wont get anywhere near its potential without a tune. You will also have crap fuel economy and destroy your cat-converter.

Full economy is absolutely s**t house and I've just replaced my factory cat with a magnaflow stainless one, so hopefully we don't destroy it.

I'm averaging 15L/100km with average speed of like 54km/h.

Im waiting on reply from Herrod Motorsport, if they can't do it, I'm going to go to 4B Performance/Tuning in Carrum Downs, as they tune TI Performance J3.

What sensors can cause issues? I might as well as replace oxy sensor and any other ones just to be on the safe side.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Have you checked for vacuum leaks....intake gasket, upper half of the BBM gasket, stuff like that..?????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
Have you checked for vacuum leaks....intake gasket, upper half of the BBM gasket, stuff like that..?????

Nah, but the head came off and the inlet manifold was removed and the gasket replaced when the mechanic did it for me.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]