Fordmods Logo

e series 4.0 missing under load?prob found AUX SHAFT FAILING 

Page 8 of 12 [ 176 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

He did, twice.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Oh bugger - I missed that bit, sorry all..! Guess I missed the bit where it was solved? Damn - Am going to have to pay more attention - sorry about that...

[edit] Nope - re read the whole thread and still have not found the bit where he solved it... But did find the mention of trying the computers twice. Guess the shaft with the dizzy on it is likely culprit then.

PURGE CONTROL?

Okay okay, stop it. I ain't by any means a mechanic and will give up now. Troyman has, so the guy from NZ who thinks he's flash for putting a sway bar in himself will go back to trying to find a distributor on his EF 1994 i6. Have been asked for a distributor from my spare motor, but cannot find a distributor on it. Starting to think it is one of those distributorless ones cunningly called EDIS.

Right, nighty night.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:58 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Whats an ED XR6 front worth nowdays anyway?

you can get them from $300 up to $800
depending on condition..

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:01 pm 

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
Oh bugger - I missed that bit, sorry all..! Guess I missed the bit where it was solved? Damn - Am going to have to pay more attention - sorry about that...

[edit] Nope - re read the whole thread and still have not found the bit where he solved it... But did find the mention of trying the computers twice. Guess the shaft with the dizzy on it is likely culprit then.

PURGE CONTROL?

Okay okay, stop it. I ain't by any means a mechanic and will give up now. Troyman has, so the guy from NZ who thinks he's flash for putting a sway bar in himself will go back to trying to find a distributor on his EF 1994 i6. Have been asked for a distributor from my spare motor, but cannot find a distributor on it. Starting to think it is one of those distributorless ones cunningly called EDIS.

Right, nighty night.

well i have kind of given up. well ive given up on the ea...but i will find out if the engine was the problem when i pull it down for an inspection..

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:09 pm 

NSW, Australia

hello..
ive posted this in my ea thread aswell..
i pulled the aux shaft out today to find it was stuffed......

but for anyone who does put a dizzy in a coil pack engine be cautious..
as this may happen to you..
and if you have any symptoms like in this thread take a look at your aux shaft....

Attachments:
DSC01160.JPG
DSC01160.JPG [ 64.36 KiB | Viewed 1504 times ]
DSC01161.JPG
DSC01161.JPG [ 83.88 KiB | Viewed 1504 times ]

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Those photos are a wee bit out of focus on the gear bits - is there a bit of a tooth missing or something?

How do you think it would have been caused? Is it possible the aux shaft tried to move forwards (or back) under load on its gears?

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:30 am 

NSW, Australia

all the teeth have been sheared to a point..

there is no logical explanation for it..
the only load on the shaft is the oil pump and dizzy..

here is a pic comparing a good shaft to a stuffed one...

Attachments:
DSC01162.JPG
DSC01162.JPG [ 86.52 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I (at risk of repeating myself) am purely a novice when it comes to things that move without the aid of human feet - but that would appear to mean that there is more pressure at front which could mean the attached gear is slightly not lining up and means that the added load of a dizzy wears it out?

Hell. Apparently you're not the only one with this sort of issue when putting a dizzy onto an AU. Has anyone tried fitting to the EF setup? Guess that'd work, as they wouldn't have changed it from the EF to the EL would they?

Thanks for the clearer pictures tho!

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:14 am 

NSW, Australia

there has been an issue with 5 ef engines aswell..

just ask joe at cms he will tell you how many times he has seen this..
his most recent one was an el that had an engine replacement with an ef engine and after 12 months it had done exactly the same thing mine had done..
there is no movement in the machined surfaces the end play is within the specs..
other than the gear drive failing there is nothing else that i can find wrong..

an un comfirmed theory is that possably ef and au may have had different aux shafts fitted??(different casting strength?)
but this is just a theory...

it could be just a few minor things that cause it to fail.. like a worn dizzy? or a worn oil pump????..

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Heres a question then....

For those that ARE running a dizzy in an EF engine that has been "dumbed down" to ED specs (log manifold etc), it is possible to go back to coil packs to save this from happening? Or would people need to do a full move to BBM & serpentine?

I ask as I have had an EF engine in my ED for a month or so now that has been "ED-ised".....

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Once again - Simply having an old pump or dizzy shouldn't put load on outside of tolerances, surely? I know it happens, but this is the first time anyone has shown me. I thought the bloody things where bending or something, but obviously not.

Maybe the casting strength is different --- But, uhm... That seems like an odd thing, doesn't it? Have heard of stranger things mind you. Has NZ beaten you lot at the cricket yet?

<cough, splutter, choke>

I still guess that something is pulling the gear to a slightly different angle - it is worn slightly more on the "driven" side rather than the back side, so loading is affecting it.

Cripes, that's Mr Novice guy (me) straining his brain. I'd have loved to just say "the extra weight was causing them to fail" but the weight is stuff all and I didn't realise what sort of gears it had until now. If there's no play in the shaft back and forth along its length then confusion reigns...

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:40 am 

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:

For those that ARE running a dizzy in an EF engine that has been "dumbed down" to ED specs (log manifold etc), it is possible to go back to coil packs to save this from happening? Or would people need to do a full move to BBM & serpentine?

I ask as I have had an EF engine in my ED for a month or so now that has been "ED-ised".....

Cheers
RD

it could be converted to coil pack but the whole loom would need to be modified..
from my point im going to replace the aux shaft in my au engine with one from an eb and just hope it dont happen again...

i might contact ford and see if the ef and au has a different part number for the aux shaft...
if they have different part numbers that means there must be something different and may be the reason for the failure..

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
racedirector wrote:

Cheers
RD

it could be converted to coil pack but the whole loom would need to be modified..
from my point im going to replace the aux shaft in my au engine with one from an eb and just hope it dont happen again...

i might contact ford and see if the ef and au has a different part number for the aux shaft...
if they have different part numbers that means there must be something different and may be the reason for the failure..
Thanks Troy, something to consider.

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

^^^^ The EF and AU part numbers? Maybe try the EL or some other DIZZY block rather than EF..!

Anyways - you knew that -- I am off to try and find some reasonably solution for bonnet vents now...! Bought some XR8 ones, but they don't have a real big hole do they? Just a heap of plastic!

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:02 am 

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
^^^^ The EF and AU part numbers? Maybe try the EL or some other DIZZY block rather than EF..!

Anyways - you knew that -- I am off to try and find some reasonably solution for bonnet vents now...! Bought some XR8 ones, but they don't have a real big hole do they? Just a heap of plastic!

umm yea i ment different part numbers compared to the models fitted with a dizzy.lol

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 12  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next