Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: E Series head gasket coolant galleries
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

Hi guys,

Just whipped the head off the Falcon, and was wondering why most of the coolant galleries on the block are covered / blocked off on the head gasket? Surely you would want coolant to have access to the galleries and not cover them up with the head gasket?

Post subject: Re: E Series head gasket coolant galleries
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

No sir...

The ones in the block in head were more for casting reasons that for after use reasons...

The two big holes are in the back as you notice... This forces the majority of the water to the back of the block then into the back of the head and then forward out the thermostat...

If you were to enlarge or punch out the other holes you will cook the back of the block...

One set (not sure whether it is intake or exhaust) has small holes to enable some water transfer... The other side is blocked up...

If you have troubles with a car getting hot it will never be because these holes are small or blocked off... It will be a stuck closed thermostat or blocked radiator... My car which has the MLS head gasket on never registered above 88 degrees on the diagnostic mode in the cluster all the way to goulburn when I was on holidays on the weekend...

It is designed to be that way and it works...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TimmyA wrote:
No sir...

The ones in the block in head were more for casting reasons that for after use reasons...

The two big holes are in the back as you notice... This forces the majority of the water to the back of the block then into the back of the head and then forward out the thermostat...

If you were to enlarge or punch out the other holes you will cook the back of the block...

One set (not sure whether it is intake or exhaust) has small holes to enable some water transfer... The other side is blocked up...

If you have troubles with a car getting hot it will never be because these holes are small or blocked off... It will be a stuck closed thermostat or blocked radiator... My car which has the MLS head gasket on never registered above 88 degrees on the diagnostic mode in the cluster all the way to goulburn when I was on holidays on the weekend...

It is designed to be that way and it works...

Cheers,
Tim

It wasn't overheating, I just thought it was odd that they would be there if they weren't needed - I mean what's the point making coolant passages and then covering them with a head gasket?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I would say when designing the engine they thought they may need them...

Then they tested it to find it cooked 5 and 6 at the back of the block and then re-engineered the head gasket to suit so that it forced water to the back of the block before going into the head... Otherwise it'd pump water into the front of the block and then straight up, through the head and out the thermostat and back to the radiator... The back of the block would get no flow at all...

You could weld them up in the block and head if you wanted to...

As far as I am aware it would have also helped get the sand back out of the block when it was cast... But I doubt this was the main reason... I think it was more a whoopsie on ford's part and must have worked out cheaper to modify the head gasket then re-do the block moulds...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TimmyA wrote:
I would say when designing the engine they thought they may need them...

Then they tested it to find it cooked 5 and 6 at the back of the block and then re-engineered the head gasket to suit so that it forced water to the back of the block before going into the head... Otherwise it'd pump water into the front of the block and then straight up, through the head and out the thermostat and back to the radiator... The back of the block would get no flow at all...

You could weld them up in the block and head if you wanted to...

As far as I am aware it would have also helped get the sand back out of the block when it was cast... But I doubt this was the main reason... I think it was more a whoopsie on ford's part and must have worked out cheaper to modify the head gasket then re-do the block moulds...

Cheers,
Tim

Ah I see, makes sense I guess. Thanks :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]