E series high compression 

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: E series high compression
Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ef fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

Hey lads,
What's the best combination to gain high comp? I've hered 30thou off the head with a au head gasket? I'll be running a crow cam 1514 with 112 lobe so wanting high 9s mid 10s comp?
Any info would be great!
Cheers

Post subject: Re: E series high compression
Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Flat top pistons is the way to go.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Any info on flat tops? An what's involved in running a set of them? Also could anyone give me info on the best head work to gain high Comp?

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:37 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Increased comp is usually done out of the bottom end not the top. shaving a head will bump it up slightly, but the correct way to go is a set of flat or lumpy tops that have been butterfly cut to suit and give sufficient PTV clearance.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:41 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA Falcon

ACT, Australia

Ef-barrie wrote:
Hey lads,
What's the best combination to gain high comp? I've hered 30thou off the head with a au head gasket? I'll be running a crow cam 1514 with 112 lobe so wanting high 9s mid 10s comp?
Any info would be great!
Cheers

This works. Will be doing this exact mod, early in the new year. Use a Tickford head.. they're cheap. What isnt cheap is buying pistons, having them fitted, balancing the new weights you will end up spending over 4k without any drama, and realise that you're about to build a whole performance motor from scratch.

For me, its just about getting a bit more poke on a budget. Im not building a race car.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks barnfind-ea! Any more info on the right setup to use for head work? Best a series gasket tonise? How much to deck of the head?

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:54 am 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

Ef-barrie wrote:
Thanks barnfind-ea! Any more info on the right setup to use for head work? Best a series gasket tonise? How much to deck of the head?

30 thou decking, I was quoted $110 in Canberra (if you supply the bare head, off the engine)

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

Ef-barrie wrote:
Hey lads,
Any info would be great!
Cheers

If this is your daily driver then be careful when looking for high comp ...

The last thing you want is an engine that pings because you've gone too high in compression ...

Just something to bear in mind ...

95 EF XR6 Manual
Pioneer, Oz Audio, Butler, Image Dynamics, Audison
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2006
MEASQ - Vic Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Expert Class 2008
MEASQ - Aust Champion Advanced Class 2011 (Shared)

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Decking the head screws with Quench. Pistons are the right way to bump compression.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

AU head, modified to take 11/32 stainless valves, CP pistons, 10.7:1
This is a supercharged methanol engine i built

050 off the head and 028 off the block, pistons are 008 down the hole
id recommend camtech cam 845 or 842b depending on auto/manual/converter/diff gears

also you dont really need to balance the i6's as they are internally balaced, if the pistons and rods are all the same weight then thats fine.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Barnfind-EA wrote:
Ef-barrie wrote:
Hey lads,
Any info would be great!
Cheers

This works. Will be doing this exact mod, early in the new year. Use a Tickford head.. they're cheap. What isnt cheap is buying pistons, having them fitted, balancing the new weights you will end up spending over 4k without any drama, and realise that you're about to build a whole performance motor from scratch.

For me, its just about getting a bit more poke on a budget. Im not building a race car.

Just using a tickford head isnt going to get your comp into the 10s. Even with an au gasket. As said. Best way is with flattops. And if you are spending 4000 to get bored/decked/balance then u need to find someone else to do your work

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:50 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
Barnfind-EA wrote:
Ef-barrie wrote:
Hey lads,
Any info would be great!
Cheers

Just using a tickford head isnt going to get your comp into the 10s. Even with an au gasket. As said. Best way is with flattops. And if you are spending 4000 to get bored/decked/balance then u need to find someone else to do your work

Just to have the engine removed and put back together is going to cost you $1000 in labour.
If you buy new pistons/rods you will need to balance the engine (you can argue this if you like)
Machine work is not cheap either.

Post up some quotes if you like. Prove me wrong.

As for the compression, I wont have a drama reaching 10:1 with an EF Tickford head.
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/compression-ratio-head-shaving-t97431.html

Starting at 9.3:1 Gaining 0.15 compression for each 10thou off the head. And 0.5 for the head gasket. Thats 0.95 additional compression. (unless of course that guy was completely wrong)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EFII XR6

NSW, Australia

I had 50thou shaved off my tickford head, used mls gasket, cc'd the chamber, did the calculations and ended up with 10.75:1 comp ratio. Not the best way to increase compression though, I have pretty bad chain rattle, I'm still using the old chain and broken guides though.

96 EFII XR6 - 4480 pacies, 100cpi 2.5" cat, lukey 2.5" exhaust, CT006845 Camtech Cam, ported t/body, Ported & polished & 50thou shaved head, pep pro stainless valves, h/duty valve springs, 10.75:1, custom CAI, 42lb injectors, Bosch 023, runs on E85, custom J3, shift kitted auto

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:48 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

SLOFRD wrote:
I had 50thou shaved off my tickford head, used mls gasket, cc'd the chamber, did the calculations and ended up with 10.75:1 comp ratio. Not the best way to increase compression though, I have pretty bad chain rattle, I'm still using the old chain and broken guides though.

50 is a lot :) See if you can remove 1 link from you chain, and add a half link. My friend added a half link to a Ford Laser Turbo set up we once did. Used a decompression plate.
I cant see why this wouldn't work in reverse to avoid chain rattle.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next