Fordmods Logo

EA CFI engine/transmisson swaps. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EA CFI engine/transmisson swaps.
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:49 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 5 Spd EA Wagon, 5 spd EF Fairmon

VIC, Australia

G'day all
Im 100% sure this question has been asked before, but, i was unable to find the exact answers i was looking for. they are possibly in the 'open my eyes' section, because im sure they are here, i just couldnt seem to find them.
Anyway, i've got an EA wagon, CFI 3.9L with a 3speed auto. The engine is tired, but the rest of the car is good. I want to upgrade the motor to preferably an EF with the coilpack ignition. Is this possible at all?? all the info i found basically was telling me to ditch it for a dizzy. With this in mind, would i be better off with an EL motor, which already has a dizzy? also, i wanted to upgrade to MPFI instead of the rotten looking CFI setup. Is this worth while? i know ill need to change the low pressure fuel pump for the high pressure MPFI pump..
What will be needed for the swap? as the EA uses the 3 separate belts for the A/C and Pwr/steer, should i get the EF/EL power steer pump and compressor so i can use the single serpentine belt?? Obviously an ECU and wiring loom as well, but what else will i need?

Transmission wise, is it worth the stuffing around to change the 3speeder into a 4speeder? i'll need the box, trans computer (and the shifter?)

Thanks heaps for the help

David

If you're not driving a manual, you are only steering...

Post subject: Re: EA CFI engine/transmisson swaps.
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

DJ_Brown wrote:
G'day all
Im 100% sure this question has been asked before, but, i was unable to find the exact answers i was looking for. they are possibly in the 'open my eyes' section, because im sure they are here, i just couldnt seem to find them.

might find some of your questions answered in these threads
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31883
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33978

DJ_Brown wrote:
Anyway, i've got an EA wagon, CFI 3.9L with a 3speed auto. The engine is tired, but the rest of the car is good. I want to upgrade the motor to preferably an EF with the coilpack ignition. Is this possible at all??

Yes but LOTS of work. You need to get the complete EF setup - wiring looms, ECU, smartlock, etc and put it all in.

DJ_Brown wrote:
all the info i found basically was telling me to ditch it for a dizzy. With this in mind, would i be better off with an EL motor, which already has a dizzy?

probably (although swapping CAS for dizzy is no big deal).

DJ_Brown wrote:
also, i wanted to upgrade to MPFI instead of the rotten looking CFI setup. Is this worth while? i know ill need to change the low pressure fuel pump for the high pressure MPFI pump..

very worth while. You will need the pump, MPEFI dizzy, as well as the manifolds, injectors etc.

DJ_Brown wrote:
What will be needed for the swap? as the EA uses the 3 separate belts for the A/C and Pwr/steer, should i get the EF/EL power steer pump and compressor so i can use the single serpentine belt?? Obviously an ECU and wiring loom as well, but what else will i need?

Really depends on how much you swap, particulary what manifold you are going to use.

DJ_Brown wrote:
Transmission wise, is it worth the stuffing around to change the 3speeder into a 4speeder? i'll need the box, trans computer (and the shifter?)

Best and easiest would be putting in a 5 speed.

Other option would be to sell the car and by one already with a MPEFI engine and 4 speed (would probably work out cheaper as well).

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 5 Spd EA Wagon, 5 spd EF Fairmon

VIC, Australia

Thanks very much for your help.
I looked into selling and buying, but the thing with this car is i know that everything else is good.. like the suspension and brakes and stuff.
But still thank you for your quick reply.

If you're not driving a manual, you are only steering...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]