Fordmods Logo

ea cuts out while driving and no start for 10mins(no spark) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: ea cuts out while driving and no start for 10mins(no spark)
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

hey guys

mates ea 4.0 is cutting out while his driving.

and when i dose cut out we have no spark.

He replaced coil with new boash coil same as his original factory one.

got a new moduel off eb and still happens.

new dizzy cap, rotor button, igintion leads, boash 4 plugs,

before we found it had no spark we replaced fuel filter and put spare fuel pump in.

we also had a ea beside us so we did a ecu swap and still happen.

poked a few wires and plugs and still didn't fix anything.

any idea's?

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: falcon eb

WA, Australia

is it turning over at all?

starter motor?

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ow sorry

yer it cranking(fast) but not starting up due to no spark

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

When he replaced the coil, did he replace the condensor [bolted to it ] as well?
Has he cleaned all the earth leads, including the one to the block?
Has he checked for a corroded wire on the battery positive terminal? Some of the small one's corrode and fall off, can be hard to see.
Check if there are any electrical terminals on the battery posts with no wires on them. If you find one, look for the wire.
Has he checked all the fuses?
I should be in Burpengary before Xmas, hope you've got it going by then, my old Aunt hates it when I get my hands greasy. LOL
Cheers
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

do they have an ignition module on the side of the dizzy? could be the culprit right there.

any fusible links or anything on the battery that have blown or wires that have come off??

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

If he replaced the TFI module on the dizzy with a known worker, i would say it is the hall pickup sensor under the dizzy cover bottom plate. They tend to fail if you have been running a stuffed module for about 2wks or so.

This sensor picks up the chopper disk on the dizzy shaft. Should try putting in a working complete dizzy and see if that helps.

Cheers

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: 04BA XR8 & 06Territory Ghia

VIC, Australia

sounds like the ignition module on side of dizzy i had same prob in my old NA fairlane when motor warmed up it would cut out & had no spark & wouldn't start again till the motor cooled down

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
If he replaced the TFI module on the dizzy with a known worker, i would say it is the hall pickup sensor under the dizzy cover bottom plate. They tend to fail if you have been running a stuffed module for about 2wks or so.

This sensor picks up the chopper disk on the dizzy shaft. Should try putting in a working complete dizzy and see if that helps.

Cheers

we were ganna swap dizzy but the basted wouldn't come out lol so we just swapped the modules. ill have a look and see if u can swap the sensor pick up or ganna have to work out why the dizzy won't come out(yes i know it spins into it home cause the gear is tapered)

give that a go today if we get a chance.

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:38 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:

Cheers

I would back this as the most likely cause. I just went through the same saga on an XG where it would cut out and have a no spark situation then just come alive after being bumped or rolled around the yard. Turned out the previous person to replace the module had dis lodged the hall effect sender when plugging the module in. Then the hall effect had been clipped by the rotor and was eventually torn off its mount. A replacement dizzy sorted the problem for good.

there was a thread on it.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

i had teh same problem i changed the dizzy modual and it was fibe but latley it has beeng out at idle i changed the leads and its better now but not perfect need to change the dizzy cap

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

Just like the other thread someone had this issue with recently, and myself 4months ago... I will bet it is the relays behind the driver's headlight.

Get someone to bridge the pins, or swap the relay's (brown and green relay's, fuel and ignition)with known working ones.. I'm sure that is what the problem is..

Please try it!! The whole fact that it takes 5 - 10 - 15min before you have spark again, sounds just like the relay problem I had.. If you hang around the engine bay listening carefully.. you may hear the relay "click" back on, so you can turn the key and it will kick over.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

it is definately the hall effect sensor.
buy a NEW dizzy off ebay they are cheap!
DOn't buy a second hand one.

I replaced everything including the f**k TFI module on the dizzy, so we ended up just chucking a new d izzy on there and it fixed the problem, so it was the HES.

Just buy a new dizzy man.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]