Fordmods Logo

EA just dies 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EA just dies
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi all, i have a 91 falcon which normally runs well. occasionally, when the car hits a bump or goes around a corner she dies. "trying to find the prob as the car is young kids transport to and from school."
Can only say what i been told, but apart from above, was told the battery light comes on b4 engine light and cannot be restarted till egnition turned totally off.
just wondering if this could be electrical?, Bad earth?, or something else.
thanks in advance, Dave

Post subject: Re: EA just dies
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Check the battery connections first. Then look at the earth cable between the battery to chassis and engine to chassis cables, ECU earth, fusible links and fuel pump wiring connections. It's a process of elimination.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

My ED used to do a similar thing but only under heavy acceleration from standstill - it turned out to be the big engine loom connector near the back of the manifold.

Try a "wiggle test" - ie. with car idling, prod and jiggle all the connectors you can reach - and I guess generally tugg and prod any wiring you can reach (careful not to get munched by moving parts of course!).

I found my problem by poking about while it was idling - and when I poked that connector the engine quit. I simply uncoupled the connector, washed it out with electrical contact cleaner, gave it a quick squirt of CRC and recoupled it. Lasted no worries for 3 years - but then no amount of messing fixed it so I had to replace the connector.

First up definitely check the battery terminals and the earth lead at both ends.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. thought it may have been electrical, something i aint good at lol, Was told by a young apprentice it was plugs but i new it wasn't. Thanks again let u know the outcome

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]