Fordmods Logo

EA Leaking Water From Under Dash 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EA Leaking Water From Under Dash
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 410 Cube FE LTD

ACT, Australia

Im not sure where to post this as the old site had an index for problems! Well the problem i have with my EA is when i turn left very heavy like doing a u turn and accellerating quickish out of it, water pours straight onto my left foot, it is coming from up under the centre bit of the dash, the water is cold no matter how long the car has been driven and it smells off allmost, when it happens it sounds like someone is pouring water out of a jug, the water also goes on the passenger side to if turning the other way.

also the heater works fine.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

Does it have A/C and are you using it when this happens? If that's the case then it could be the drain pipe for the A/C leaking into the cabin.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

the upper air vents at the top of the bonnet may be leaking, also leaves can block the water drain holes at either side of the vents. this blockage cause alot of rust problems in the X series.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:22 am 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

it has air con but i havent been using it when it has happened, it appears to have no leaves/ material build up in those vents, are there anyways i can get under the dash somewhere to see whats going on, i highly doubt that the heater core has gone, as the water is always cold.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

turn a hose on and pour some water into the vent at the base of the windscreen....... it should flow out behind the front wheels.........

Banned

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

it will prolly be the a/c drain as has been mentioned. water (condensation) is prolly built up from a previos usage of the a/c. should be a drain pipe on firewall on passenger side under bonnet. could be blocked by insulating or blocked up inside. and yes it will smell a bit mouldy as you prolly have wet mouldy carpet up in your footwells.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:44 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

I have located one area in which it is leaking, i removed the glove box and behind that is a cap with like springs things on the inside of the cap, and it has been cracked previously, and the water leaks very quickly from there, i have found that the water only leaks when the fan is set on, and the faster the fan speed the quicker the water comes out onto the carpet. also there seems to be a lot of water being discharged from a pipe or something on the passenger side firewall.
on the drivers side of the car under the dash just below the hand brake there is the black plastic tank thingy for the heater, this also seems to be "missing" caps or something as i can see into it, and water will come out this side when going round a corner.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i presume the water is not from your cooling system. i think you have a few drainage holes blocked around the front of your car. rain water etc that goes in the vents where the wipers are should drain away behind the front wheel. if this gets blocked, which they quite often do then it can rust away and will then leak into the cabin. my brother had this in his xf. not sure if its the same but we had to weld a new piece of pipe in. or we may have just used selastic i can't remember. maybe investigate that area.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:00 am 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

i put the hose on the front window and it only poured out water from the drivers side front wheel arch. the water also didnt seem to back up. i have gone through a fair bit of rad water now and im not sure whats going on, i might put some die into the water and see if the colour comes into the cabin.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok then obviously it is your cooling system. also obvious is that its your heater system as thats the only possible way it can get where its getting. are u using your heater? does your a/c get real cold? i'd check the heater tap. chances are it is corroded out and water going to heater full time. replacing that will stop the water while you are not using the heater but you obviously have a cracked pipe/core somewhere as well.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:50 am 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

the air con never seems to get cold. where abouts is this heater tap? is that in the engine bay near the fire wall? it doesnt matter what heat setting i have it selected to, it still has the same problems, but it only seems to be leaking when the fans on, will do a bit more hunting tomorrow, thanks heaps for your help so far aswell

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

heater tap underneath on passenger side. follow hose down that runs under intake manifold. will have to jack car up and support it and crawl in underneath. taking wheel off (passenger front) may help also.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]