EA Starting Problems.. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EA Starting Problems..
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EA Fairmont

SA, Australia

Ok, This has probably been posted quite a few times before, but yeah.. My car died.. yesterday. i was dropping a friend off at school and just as i was leaving the drop off area the car just.. spluttered and died, and i couldn't get it started.. tried to jump start it from Alfy's EA but with crappy jumper leads.. which didn't even read anything on the Battery thingy.. and then got another mate to bring his sisters Commi over with some heavy duty leads.. it cranked.. but didn't start.. is it the starter motor??.. or is it something else??..
Thanks..
(BTW.. Me b car newbie)

EA Fairmont - Stock...............................................................................................

...STRIPPED... :'-(

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA Wagon, EF Sedan and a Trader

QLD, Australia

Check all battery leads including the one on the starter motor. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Check battery is okay, not dead flat. Turn on lights and see if they are full brightness. This will give you an idea of battery health. Beg or borrow a known good battery and fit it in your car, again be sure all connections are tight.

Hope this is some help to you.

Good luck!!

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:14 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

could it be your fuel pump? as my eb did the same and it turned out to be fuel pump

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

doubt it would be your starter motor, as you said it cranked and the car died while running.

i would check to see if all leads are firing, if they are probably look at your fuel system next.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

battery/alt problem?

you got spark?

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

All the leads are ok, battery is pretty dead though... so i'm going to charge that over night... and everything else seems to be ok (even though i don't have enough power to power.. anything), but even with the battery this dead it should start from a jump.. shouldn't it?. (if that was the problem)
and i'll check the leads tomorrow mornin when i get the battery charged.. and i'll keep ya's posted, but any other ideas.. more then welcome :)

EA Fairmont - Stock...............................................................................................

Last edited by Demonik on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

it depends how strongly it was cranking...sometimes they just wont start till they get a nice strong battery in them

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Well.. by the looks of my battery.. it hasn't been "Strong" in years.. lol.. it is quite old, but usin battery checkers while i was on work experiance the other month it came up 98%...
so yeh... well.. i'll charge it and see how it goes.. :)

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:18 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Hwy rider

VIC, Australia

If the car died while running and then wouldn't crank over, have a good look at your alt, and make sure that she is charging, the car might have gotten to the bottem voltage and packed up, so once you've got the car running again, make sure it's charging at about 14.2-14.4v, anything under 14 go and get your alt looked at.
hope this helps.

5spd conversion, extac 2 1/2 mandrell bend, 2.92lsd, kings lowered.

Post subject: EA not starting
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I would check fuel pump pressure. The EA/EB Fords are very dependant on fuel pump pressure . If the pressure is not right the ECU acts up and statrting is not on. Just a suggestion

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

ACT, Australia

First thing i'd be checking is the ignition module. Ford's of all descriptions have problems with ignition systems just conking out without warning.

problem is, the ign. module is a prick to change cos you gottta pull out the dizzy to change it cos it screwed onto side of dizzy and there's no room the get a screwdriver in.

Easist way is to mark the postion of where it is when home in it's hole. line dizzy up with no. 1 TDC. Should be lined up with "start" inside the dizzy. Pull the dizzy out. Ther's not much room. When it's out the dizzy button should be marked with "finish". To replace just reverse order of removal.

It's a common thing in the trade to replace ign. module and you should replace the coil to cos it usually either cracks the coil or fries the coil at the same time.

For whats it's worth i'd also change the dizzy if it were my car. Being in the trade myself, it's dead cheap to buy a dizzy and module as a kit. Bout $60.

Fords Rule. OK.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Forgot to mention. If you got no spark. It's usually the ign. module which is the problem on falcons. A sure way of telling if one is on the way out. If you happen to get them wet. and it's real hard to start even after you've dried the dizzy out. it's a sure sign it will fail soon.

Fords Rule. OK.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

After reading through this post of your problem with your EA falcon.It seems many people have different views of where your problem exists.
Well after owning a EA CFI falcon and a ED XR6,it sounds like your fuel pump has packed it in.A member on the forum posted that it could be you ignition module that has packed it in,i dont belive that is so because falcons whislt the engine is running dont cut out because of a ignition problem and then not start.It sounds more along the lines of the fuel pump.Usually an iginiton problem exists like you drive your car regularilly and one night put you falcon in the shed.Then in the morning you jump in and crank it over and she wont start due to a burnt out ignition module.(Well thats my example if you can understand it).I would check if the fuel pump has power to it and then check the fuel pump pressure is sufficient.Hope that helps.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Ok, after looking at everything that everyone has suggested.. (and it always happens.. but its always the last thing you check) it was the fuel pump.. completely dead...
Now i'm on the hunt for a extremely cheap fuel pump that i can drop into the car by wednesday.. yippee.. lol.. well.. thanks heaps guys!!! :-D
(btw..how can i get the old pump out the car?)

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

If it's sedan, it's pretty easy. disconnect -ve battery terminal at battery.

The fuel pump is in the boot. remove the mat the reveal the f/pump cover. disconnect wiring connectors. disconnect fuel hoses. make sure you have releaved fuel pressure in system first.

You will have to unscrew the platic ring which retains the f/pump. remember it will be very tight. It needs to be otherwise it will leak. Then manuever the f/pump out making sure you don't bend the fuel gauge sender unit. Get the pump and swap it over. it's pretty much straight forward.

reverse procedure for instalation.

For Wagon models.

Same as above except the pump is installed at the front of the tank. Not on top.

Once you've removed the hoses, it's a case on turning the lock ring anti-clockwise with a brass punch. Note how the f/pump sits. very important.

Pull the pump out.

I haven't acually done a f/pump in a falcon wagon. But if it's anything like a commodore where the pump is in the same spot, you may have to jack the car up so you can manuveur the pump around the watts link.

Fords Rule. OK.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next