Fordmods Logo

Easy way to kill the throttle dashpot like function on EL ?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Easy way to kill the throttle dashpot like function on EL ??
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

For those who dont know, you probably can't help :)

Its part of the system that makes a car into what I call fat beurocrat mode, removing most control of the engine from the driver - it slows the rate of throttle closure to prevent driveline clunk when you snap the throttle closed. Along with the torque converter clutch mod to make the car drive less like a hunk of s**t, I want some engine braking. A 4 litre motor with 9:1 compression should provide s**t of engine braking but this tends to provide less than a 2 litre motor of similar compression....

Anyone know how to fix/improve this?

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Well im guessing yours is an auto, in which case its the transmission freewheeling (well not freewheeling, but coasting) thats not causing the back pressure. The motor itself should provide plenty. If you drop the auto back a gear, it brakes a bit more

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon MkII

WA, Australia

Or

Do what I did and unbolt the ISC and replace the gasket with a home made gasket, made from two layers of cereal box cardboard, that has no air flow holes in it.

I just set the Base Idle speed screw manually to what I needed. I set it to idle at 750rpm in drive when the enigne is hot.

My car starts and runs fine, sumer and winter. But, I now have more engine braking when driving through hilly areas.

Kel.
BHR
A/MD 1272
240 inch Dragster
466 Big Block Ford
650hp
8.40 @ 156mph (251kph)

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Epitome, tell me more about the ISC, does the ECU keep it open wider when the revs are above idle?

Andrew, I am kicking the auto down a few gears, my old car with a nissan rb25det motor has the same compression and 1.5 litres less capacity and it provided much more engine braking. I'd also imagine it had a considerably wilder cam profile, being a performance engine unlike the 4 litre in the taxi. Having a milder cam profile will increase the dynamic compression so it theoretically should provide much more engine braking.....

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon MkII

WA, Australia

Bozz wrote:
Epitome, tell me more about the ISC, does the ECU keep it open wider when the revs are above idle?

Yes it does. To reduce emmissions when you lift off the throttle going down hill.

The ISC sits on top of the Throttle body.

Kel.
BHR
A/MD 1272
240 inch Dragster
466 Big Block Ford
650hp
8.40 @ 156mph (251kph)

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cheers for the reply.

Will do further investigation into the ISC behaviour and how to improve it to make me a driver, not a passenger.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Epitome wrote:
Bozz wrote:

Yes it does. To reduce emmissions when you lift off the throttle going down hill.

The ISC sits on top of the Throttle body.

One thought, all EFI vehicles I've worked on to date completely cut fuel when the throttle is closed and revs above a certain amount, typically 1500-2500rpm. Hence the throttle dashpot function would have no effect on emissions, only on trying to smooth out the driveline....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]