Fordmods Logo

EB head gasket change 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EB head gasket change
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Hey everyone. I need to change my head gasket cos she's leaking a bit. Now I need some help.
I know I need to get new bolts cos there one use only. Are the bolts the 4 or 3 (can't remember the ammount) down the length of the head and then it comes off. Or is there more to it?
I've heard about using au gaskets cos they are better. Is this true.
And does 90ft/lbs sound right for the head bolts.
Also I will be doiing an oil change. What's agood oil for a 92eb with 173000ks on it.??

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: EB head gasket change
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

AU head gasket YES..

One of our Members, Phongus did a nice doco on how to do this, here it is download/file.php?id=29406

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate. Only got a hiptop so can't get on that site tho. Is it pretty simple. I've done gaskets on 73 corona and a prelude. Pretty much the same thing??
Nothhing tricky to watch for??

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
Thanks mate. Only got a hiptop so can't get on that site tho. Is it pretty simple. I've done gaskets on 73 corona and a prelude. Pretty much the same thing??
Nothhing tricky to watch for??

fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/head-gasket-doco-started-t22726.html

if you can't download the pdf file, then read through this thread. It's the same thing...the pdf file is just a compressed version of it.

It is a pretty simple job, just tedious. Removing and installing the head requires to you tighten the bolts up in a certain sequence and also the tensioner needs to be reset after replacing the head gasket. Head needs to be straighten/resurfaced and pressure tested if need be.

All is explained in the thread :D

Good luck

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok. Um. That threads a mess haha.

So I undo the 3 bolts. Head comes off.
Do I have to take the rockergear out. Cos it looks like I could just get the gasket off without taking that s**t out.
And would it need to be re tensioned if I don't take anything out.

I didn't see the tightening order for the head. Anyone know?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:26 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
Ok. Um. That threads a mess haha.

So I undo the 3 bolts. Head comes off.
Do I have to take the rockergear out. Cos it looks like I could just get the gasket off without taking that s**t out.
And would it need to be re tensioned if I don't take anything out.

I didn't see the tightening order for the head. Anyone know?

Obviously you didn't read the thread properly. If you are going to do this yourself...you should have a thorough read of it. And remember, the thread is only a guide, you're doing it at your own risk...if something goes wrong, it's at your own fault.

And no there are more then 3 bolts to remove the head. Rocker cover has to come off. Rocker gear assembly needs to come off (24 bolts or something), I think 8 head bolts need to come off. Not to mention the camshaft and sprocket. Locking the tensioner and then resetting the tensioner once everything is back in place. I highly advise that you get the head resurfaced/straightened...if you don't you might have more problems later on. Lots of things you have to look out for if you want to do a proper job.

Have a read through the thread. It also has pretty pictures for you to look at to make things a little bit more simpler to understand.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks man. Its a bit tricky to read a thread on a hiptop. Peoples avatars cover up half the screen over there post. How much would I be looking at to just get someone to do it for me?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:43 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

If you get someone to do it put aside at leat $800. Im about to do mine next week as well but luckily my mate is a mechanic and it wont be as expensive. The parts alone are a couple hundred. I plan on using an AU head gasket and putting an XR6 cam in mine while im at it. A few more killer wasps is all good. :mrgreen:

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:36 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

I dare say mechanics are charging about $1000 to do a head gasket job...prices vary depending on the condition of the head...if it needs resurfacing with valves reseated etc...you'll be paying more. If you do it yourself, it can vary between $400 (no mods) up $800 (including small mods). So be prepared to pay out a fair bit.

Also I think you can switch off images and avatars in your profile settings if it is getting in the way. If not get someone to print the pdf file out for you and that way you don't have to jump online with dirty oily fingers tapping all over the keys.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

800bucks!!! Head gasket on my lude was like 80bucks.
I don't need new cam or re shaved head or anything. Just the gasket. Surly it can't be that much.
What's a gasket worth. 60odd? Bolts. 40odd. $100 labour.

Or have I bought a car that's apparently cheap for parts but really not at all.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
800bucks!!! Head gasket on my lude was like 80bucks.
I don't need new cam or re shaved head or anything. Just the gasket. Surly it can't be that much.
What's a gasket worth. 60odd? Bolts. 40odd. $100 labour.

Or have I bought a car that's apparently cheap for parts but really not at all.

Head gasket replacement on the I6 is a tedious task that does take time to do properly. I can't remember what the costs are for the parts, but the head gasket is about 100ish or more. about another 100 bucks for bolts. It is highly recommended you get your exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets replaced, as well as your thermostat housing and rocker cover gasket.

You don't need a new cam, but head will most likely need shaving if you want the job done properly...with a warped head you will see the new head gasket fail far quicker then expected.

Also labour can range depending on mechanic...not sure on hourly rate...but maybe $60 - 80 an hour for labour...and the task can take more then 2 to 3 hours. Not to mention the cost of new oil, oil filter and coolant.

Also head gasket changes are usually never cheap, no matter what car...hell my bike to change a gasket can cost $500ish.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

phongus, did you use any sealant (like Hylomar) between the AU gasket, head & block?

Looks like I have to replace the Duratec head gasket on my new engine. I notice the AU gasket has larger holes for the water galleries compared to the non-metal ones you can buy now.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
phongus, did you use any sealant (like Hylomar) between the AU gasket, head & block?

Looks like I have to replace the Duratec head gasket on my new engine. I notice the AU gasket has larger holes for the water galleries compared to the non-metal ones you can buy now.

Nothing...just gave the block and head a good clean with some kerosene...and wiped it all off with a dry rag making sure there aren't any swirl marks on either block or head surfaces...if there are swirl marks, usually means there is some crap still on it (I'm anal when it comes to getting things clean...I am sure it would have been fine with a bit of swirl marks).

Make sure your hand is free from oily substances and place the clean gasket into place and bolt everything down.

Haven't had problems with it yet...and it's been over a year now, seen one drag day where I ran half way down the track with coolant dumpage behind me at full throttle. Worked fine afterwards. Probably 40000km so far.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well she isn't leaking oil much from there so I might just save up to get it done propperly.

Is there a stop leak or something I could put in to stop her till then.

We used some stop leak deisil s**t in my mates 4runner. Stopped it leaking.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL XR6

ACT, Australia

I got away for about $250 when I did mine. Gasket set and bolts $100 (Permaseal graphite from ebay), good condition second hand head $90, oil/coolant/misc bits and pieces $60 or so. I was lucky enough to find a used head that was dead flat with no corrosion, so I just cleaned it well and wacked it on. The original head was warped, badly corroded, and cracked in two places... These cars have alloy heads and tend to get run into the ground with plain tap water in the cooling system, leaking/blocked up radiators etc, so things can get expensive quickly. And it takes all day to do so the labour is expensive if you get someone else to do it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next