EB Head Gasket Changeover 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EB Head Gasket Changeover
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

hey guys. i'm not after a full rundown on what to do with my EB 4.0L head gasket change but just a quick list. i've changed the head gasket on my XF so i know whats involved but the bit thats scaring me is the overhead cam. what do i need to do ie. turn to TDC then remove? also if you guys could give me a quick list of the steps because i don't wanna forget comething critical. thanks in advance

i've just bought a cork EB gasket but i've since gathered that the metal AU gasket is the way to go so i'll try an get a hold of one of them too.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

ohc is not as scary/difficult as you would think.
- take the rocker cover off
- tie the camgear too the timing chain with with cable ties or wire
- undo the cam gear bolt
- undo the chain guide bolt (too the right of the cam gear bolt)
- undo the rocker arm bolts
- remove the rocker arm
- the cam you come out easily now (you will noticed it has a slot on the cam and a grove on the gear so it can only go in the way it came out)
- DO NOT attempt to turn the crank whilt the cam is out

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

Buy yourself a Gregory's (or a genuine Ford workshop manual). It will be the best $40 youll spend.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

QLD, Australia

and make sure the lifters don't bloody fall apart like mine did,,bloody stupid things,,6 of em,,that reminds me i must buy some new one's so i can change em over.

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thanks guys...whats the worst that could happen :? ??? i pound all my valves into the pistons at once...lol

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

If you have a look on my website, there are step by step pics on how changing the head gasket on a NL fairlane, in current and completed projects

just MAKE SURE YOU GET THE HEAD CRACK TESTED AND MACHINED and use new head bolts.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Use an AU metal head gasket should mean you never have a gasket problem again. Use NEW headbolts AU ones can be used. Maybe get new rocker bolts as well, mine are stuffed and snapped one last time I played with cam gear.

If you get the motor to TDC before you start, will mean then the timing mark on the cam is to the right and dead level (with 3mm) of the top of the head face, and then you know your timimg is still spot on when you get it all back together.

Worst that can happen, you bend a valve break a rocker, and need to get a fell reco head full stop :)

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

altedxr6 wrote:
If you have a look on my website, there are step by step pics on how changing the head gasket on a NL fairlane, in current and completed projects

just MAKE SURE YOU GET THE HEAD CRACK TESTED AND MACHINED and use new head bolts.

thanks for the guide...how much is a test like that gonna set me back?

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

well i've got the whole engine in pieces now. i've cleaned off all the old head gasket and i'm about to whack the head back on but b4 i do is there anything else i should change while i've got it apart ie. the skidy tensioners for the timing chain?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]