Fordmods Logo

EB II Diagnostics (what the hell do these fault codes mean?) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EB II Diagnostics (what the hell do these fault codes mean?)
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey guys just trying to check all the sensors on the car and the diagnostics system seems to be faulty. I've checked the led/560ohm resistor with a 12v source and they're fine, and I've used them on another car before too and they definitely work.

Problem is with the 2 left pins, whenever the engine STI and ground are bridged I can hear a relay click/short as though the car is about to go into diagnostic mode (key on engine off) but simply doesn't.. When it clicks the petrol light on the LPG gauge flickers with the relay simultaneously so I'm thinking the lpg is screwing with the diagnostics somehow (so I can't set the base timing either) maybe it's a wiring issue or something.. Could they splice the lpg into the same circuit causing this issue? Or maybe it's something else entirely. Any ideas haha?

Last edited by ILLaViTaR on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Diagnostic mode problem (lpg system interferring)
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

With crap i've seen out of VIC, it wouldn't surprise me if some fool had taken power from the wrong place.

I'd start tracing the LPG wiring and sorting it out. In the mean time, Pull the LPG fuse and see if that helps.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
With crap i've seen out of VIC, it wouldn't surprise me if some fool had taken power from the wrong place.

I'd start tracing the LPG wiring and sorting it out. In the mean time, Pull the LPG fuse and see if that helps.

cheers man, doesn't look like the lpg is causing it I went all over the wiring and it actually seems pretty good after a better look. there's a spare green wire near the gauge following the gas line all the way to the tank, but it's clean cut, tied back and doesn't come from anywhere, I removed the fuse but no go unfortunately.

Turns out the relay noise I was talking about was actually the fuel pump lol. There's a red wire running from the positive terminal on the gas gauge splicing into a thick yellow wire that goes all the way to the pump unit itself, whenever the pump primes it lights up the gauge via this wire.

So when it's in diagnostics mode it's the pump I'm hearing not long after turning the key. Wait for the codes to start spilling out but nothing happens. and the pump only primes for a split second, like it's about to go into diagnostics mode but stops abruptly for some reason.

also checked the wires from the diagnostic terminal/fuse area and they're all good nic from what I could see.. I lost track of them when they started running up towards the flasher can lol. hmmm yet another complicated issue that makes no sense haha

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nvm jaycar have sold me the wrong value resistor...pays to learn how to read the bands. Guess I'll go back tomorrow and get another one. There's no way I can do with without the resistor? I'll just get one tomorrow but would be nice to get it done lol. Thanks

Post subject: Re: EB II Diagnostics (what the hell do these fault codes mean?)
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I managed to get the codes but can't tell whether it's code 11 repeating or code 22 haha.

I took a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWUPJz759WU&feature=plcp the sequence looks all over the place. I think it's code 11 repeated twice, with a long pause with a single beep in the middle, followed by 2 more code 11's. Looks kind've like this!

.......!..!.........!..!............................!....................!..!...........!..!.................................

Does this make sense to anyone lol? Oh I tried diagnostics with engine running and because it's missing so bad already it just stalls before the codes even get a chance to appear. Runs like a pig!

Post subject: Re: EB II Diagnostics (what the hell do these fault codes mean?)
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]