Fordmods Logo

ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 46

Joined: 4th Dec 2008

Ride: Bf xt 6 spd/ef fairmont v8

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

Hi All
I have headlight problems when you turn them on, low beam comes on as expected then if you turn the high beam on they stay on for 10 to 20 seconds then all headlights go out, then come back on and go off again. this is most frightening when on a country road and all of a sudden you cant see where you are going!
i've checked all fuses and relays and all seems ok there!
there is this little tin can of a thing near the battery that slides onto the end of the relay bank,
it has 2 large spade type terminals on it! and it gets really hot when headlights are on, could this be the problem?
when you disconnect it the headlights do not work at all! but the parkers do?
the only markings on it are 12v 30A! It does not appear to be a relay thou!

Please any help will be greatly appreciated as i am hesitant to drive at night because of this problem?
:oops:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

It's a resetting circuit breaker, and if its getting hot its overloading.
It could be faulty, or you have to much load on the circuit, ie incorrect headlight bulbs

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 46

Joined: 4th Dec 2008

Ride: Bf xt 6 spd/ef fairmont v8

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

madmax wrote:
It's a resetting circuit breaker, and if its getting hot its overloading.
It could be faulty, or you have to much load on the circuit, ie incorrect headlight bulbs

headlight bulbs are the standard type h4 60/55 !
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Well something is overloading the circuit, maybe a bad earth, or connection. Or maybe the circuit breaker is faulty.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:19 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 398

Joined: 31st Aug 2005

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Explorer

Location: St clair
NSW, Australia

most likely the relays down near the battery. i had this happen. give them a wiggle and witht he lights on and see if they come on then just pull it out and bend the terminal a liitle so it makes a better connection. also give wire brish as it is old and will be dirty

 

_________________

kangaroos and radiators are a bad mixture

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 40

Posts: 524

Joined: 15th Aug 2010

Ride: Territory SX TX

Location: Townsville
QLD, Australia

This is exactly what my AU did... Have a look under the battery tray for a bare wire touching the chassis. Have a good close look from the fuse block all the way across to the other side of the car. You may find that if you let it go on for too long it will melt the fuse block and possibly ignite.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 4599

Joined: 30th Aug 2010

Ride: BF XR6,

Location: NEWCASTLE
NSW, Australia

my high beams stoped working a week ago some 1 told me possibly the relay, i replaced it and works fine ever since, could be just faulty not broken?

 

_________________

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 632

Joined: 20th Jan 2007

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el xr8

Location: bidwill
NSW, Australia

EF 5.0 wrote:
Hi All
I have headlight problems when you turn them on, low beam comes on as expected then if you turn the high beam on they stay on for 10 to 20 seconds then all headlights go out, then come back on and go off again. this is most frightening when on a country road and all of a sudden you cant see where you are going!
i've checked all fuses and relays and all seems ok there!
there is this little tin can of a thing near the battery that slides onto the end of the relay bank,
it has 2 large spade type terminals on it! and it gets really hot when headlights are on, could this be the problem?
when you disconnect it the headlights do not work at all! but the parkers do?
the only markings on it are 12v 30A! It does not appear to be a relay thou!

Please any help will be greatly appreciated as i am hesitant to drive at night because of this problem?
:oops:

i had the same problem on my old eb, i replaced the relay you described and that fixed the problem with my lights

 

_________________

i smell bad even when fm members drive past lol.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 46

Joined: 4th Dec 2008

Ride: Bf xt 6 spd/ef fairmont v8

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

fordebgt93 wrote:
EF 5.0 wrote:
Hi All
I have headlight problems when you turn them on, low beam comes on as expected then if you turn the high beam on they stay on for 10 to 20 seconds then all headlights go out, then come back on and go off again. this is most frightening when on a country road and all of a sudden you cant see where you are going!
i've checked all fuses and relays and all seems ok there!
there is this little tin can of a thing near the battery that slides onto the end of the relay bank,
it has 2 large spade type terminals on it! and it gets really hot when headlights are on, could this be the problem?
when you disconnect it the headlights do not work at all! but the parkers do?
the only markings on it are 12v 30A! It does not appear to be a relay thou!

Please any help will be greatly appreciated as i am hesitant to drive at night because of this problem?
:oops:

i had the same problem on my old eb, i replaced the relay you described and that fixed the problem with my lights


All is well now kiddies i have replaced the little tin can thing with the 2 large spade terminals, and the headlights are working as they should!
so cheers to all for your help.
:lol:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 40

Posts: 524

Joined: 15th Aug 2010

Ride: Territory SX TX

Location: Townsville
QLD, Australia

You replaced the tin can thing with 2 spade terminals and let me guess, some wire??? That 'tin can' thing is a circuit breaker ya nong. I bet your next thread will be ED Fairmont burnt to ground, fire started near battery...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 278

Joined: 21st Nov 2010

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EF SERIES 2 XR6

Location: Wyong
NSW, Australia

dazza027 wrote:
You replaced the tin can thing with 2 spade terminals and let me guess, some wire??? That 'tin can' thing is a circuit breaker ya nong. I bet your next thread will be ED Fairmont burnt to ground, fire started near battery...


Not just wire.. speaker wire 8-)

 

_________________

96 EF XR6 Factory 5 sp, currently in the middle of building a new motor
75 XB hardtop, factory 351-4speed 9 inch 81000 genuine km's

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 40

Posts: 524

Joined: 15th Aug 2010

Ride: Territory SX TX

Location: Townsville
QLD, Australia

Thats the best stuff, I heard they are going to start using speaker wire as replacement for fallen power lines. And Redback, Genie and all the other exhaust manufacturers have a deal with the manufacturer to market it as theeee best uber exorst fixing kit. It will come with some Hubba Bubba chewing gum because as we all know thats what Nasa uses to fix the heat shields on the shuttle... They used to use Juicy Fruits but that shrinks too much when it gets hot and we all saw what happens when the chewies got too hot.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:03 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 278

Joined: 21st Nov 2010

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EF SERIES 2 XR6

Location: Wyong
NSW, Australia

Lets not forget the cable ties on the big end of the conrods.... good for 250000 rpm

 

_________________

96 EF XR6 Factory 5 sp, currently in the middle of building a new motor
75 XB hardtop, factory 351-4speed 9 inch 81000 genuine km's

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 40

Posts: 524

Joined: 15th Aug 2010

Ride: Territory SX TX

Location: Townsville
QLD, Australia

If you get a packet of the big cable ties, it says that it can hold over 100kgs... How much do those little old con rods weigh I mean pfft mebbe 1 kilo? A good friend of mine who used to work at the Williams F1 team told me very hush hush that they use the 300mm zip ties on just about everything cos they are soooo strong. Including the big ends, I dont know where you get your information but youre spot on the money. Must have been on wikileaks or something.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ed fairmont 6 cyl headlight issues
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 46

Joined: 4th Dec 2008

Ride: Bf xt 6 spd/ef fairmont v8

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

dazza027 wrote:
If you get a packet of the big cable ties, it says that it can hold over 100kgs... How much do those little old con rods weigh I mean pfft mebbe 1 kilo? A good friend of mine who used to work at the Williams F1 team told me very hush hush that they use the 300mm zip ties on just about everything cos they are soooo strong. Including the big ends, I dont know where you get your information but youre spot on the money. Must have been on wikileaks or something.


No no you Drongo's with a new one!
Sheez to much chrissy cheer or what! hahaha

Cheers
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
cron

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:47 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names