Fordmods Logo

ED Falcon Cold air intake 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: ED Falcon Cold air intake
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Ford Falcon

QLD, Australia

G'day guys, I have a 1993 ED falcon which i have modded a little bit.
So far i have port and polished it, it has torana valves, pacer maker extractors, highflow cat, grounded cam, 2 1/5 exhaust.

Ever since i had it port and polished it ran like s**t so the mechanic disengaged the step up motor which made a difference because it was not holding its rev abnormally when you gave it a pump anymore. But because the step up motor was disengaged it became a pain to start because you have to hold your foot on the accelerator to keep it from stalling until the car warmed up.

My issue is that the car will back fire and splatter when you get up it ( which is the exact opposite of what i want because instead of going faster you look like a fool.)

My mate suggested that it may be not getting enough air, and as a result it is splattering and coughing when you get up it.

My question is, Does anyone now how you can mod a better air intake? because the ED is pathetically small. I had a look at some other forums about this issue but they didn't go into much detail.
(And if you agree that that is the issue?)

Cheers lads

Post subject: Re: ED Falcon Cold air intake
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 99 au ute

WA, Australia

Hope fully this will give you inspiration/ideas:

ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/show-us-your-air-intake-t70357.html

I think running a xr snorkel would be better.

Au series 1 ute. T5 manual, 2.5" redback zorst, Xtreme HD clutch

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

mrtommyhawker wrote:
G'day guys, I have a 1993 ED falcon which i have modded a little bit.
So far i have port and polished it, it has torana valves, pacer maker extractors, highflow cat, grounded cam, 2 1/5 exhaust.

So tell us more about these torana valves....

Also I thought only the CFI models & dual fuel vehicles had a stepper motor.

You mentioned the problems started with the port & polish? Was the cam installed at the same time? Were the shims installed correctly being a regrind? Also what are the specs of the cam? It may have thrown your timing out.

A bit more information would be helpful.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Ford Falcon

QLD, Australia

Cheers for the reply.
Honestly i'm not that mechanically minded, i can only repeat what the mechanic told me.
I had the cam ground the same time the port and polish was done. I might have to go and visit him and see if he remembers ( i have been driving the car for probably a year and a bit since the work was done) what the cam specs were/are. As far as the shims go i have no idea. Can you run into trouble installing the shims after a regrind?

This is what was on my Invoice sheet:
Remove cylinder head and refit reco head with over size valave and hiflow cylinder head with reco camshaft, oversized valves and cam shaft to suit cylinder head remove and replace all heater hose and refit new thermostat housing back flush radiator and other just service stuff.. its called a reco head and vrs kit oversize valve new head bolts and regrind camshaft.

I'm not sure about the stepper motor, i just know that that's what he said he disengaged when i first took it for a drive and back complaining about it holding its rev. He disengaged it and said the computer should adapt to the new mods.

As for Torana valves he said that apparently they are the largest you can fit into this engine and that's what was installed.

I took it for a drive yesterday and its back doing it, and the weird thing is that it doesn't seem to cough when you guts it when its cold. but say if you drove it cold in the morning and stop to get fuel and then start it and drive it again it will start coughing like its got too much fuel or something.

Cheers for the help.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]