Fordmods Logo

ED Futura 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: ED Futura
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon ED Futura

QLD, Australia

Brother has an ED Futura 5 speed manual, few problems but two main ones are around 3k rpm the car starts to surge and loose power also if the car is cold it doesn't like it driving gotta let it warm up. we think fuel filter but i figured you guys would have a good idea. also the clutch pedal feels very sloppy under the foot and i can jiggle it kind of it's weird. when i let my foot off the clutch i can feel like there is bairly any spring behind it and it catches up to my foot and then engages it as it comes out of the area with no spring. it's got me a little stumped. the car has had a new head put on it and the car its self starts nicely and purrs like a kitten so i don't think there is anything wrong with the engine it's only when it's under load. going to put it up on the yard tomorrow and have a poke around but any help would be really nice cheers.

Post subject: Re: ED Futura
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ford ef2 xr6

VIC, Australia

Blocked cat on exhaust system will cause car to lose power at @3000 rpm,as can a blocked fuel filter.Faulty oxygen sensor may be causing car to run crap when cold...just a couple of things to check...as for clutch pedal issues check that pedal box is not cracked or broken around clutch pedal pivot pin(usually breaks around the weld),and also check that firewall is not cracked or broken near where clutch cable passes through it...both very common on E series falcons...don't forget to check the simple things first such as a broken/disconnected clutch pedal return spring.

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

The O2 sensor doesn't do sh*t on cold start up. Iirc it needs to be up around 800degrees before it starts reading anything, I'd do the fuel filter before anything, poor thing probly hasn't got any fuel..

If it feels like it hits a wall at 3000rpm, I'd check the Cat,

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

sounds good, old girl has seen better days but once he upgrades to a ute i'll be getting it off him and showin her some love. it's a bit beat up. going to do the fuel filter on the weekend. would it be worth pulling the clutch cable out and getting some lube down it? when you push it down and let it back up it's like it grabs and slowly lets it back up and then lets go of the cable again. makes the clutch hard to use. also how would i go about checking the cat?

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

LostPup wrote:
s would it be worth pulling the clutch cable out and getting some lube down it? when you push it down and let it back up it's like it grabs and slowly lets it back up and then lets go of the cable again. makes the clutch hard to use. also how would i go about checking the cat?

check the adjustment spot on the firewall. they have a habit of tearing the sheetmetal around it plus check the pivot point for the clutch pedal as they can rip off too

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
LostPup wrote:
s would it be worth pulling the clutch cable out and getting some lube down it? when you push it down and let it back up it's like it grabs and slowly lets it back up and then lets go of the cable again. makes the clutch hard to use. also how would i go about checking the cat?

check the adjustment spot on the firewall. they have a habit of tearing the sheetmetal around it plus check the pivot point for the clutch pedal as they can rip off too

i looked yesterday the cable feels slightly loose but doesn't look like there are any cracks or tears in the firewall. i was wondering about putting some lube down the inside of the cable to try and free it up temporarily?

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

oh & also make sure cable is not kinked, been squished & has free travel at box end ...... as too lube :shock:

not sure . . . . don't even know of what to use/recommend

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

well the firewall is fine but the thing that stumped me is that you can move the clutch point side to side at the footrest on the pedal about an inch up the top it just has allot of slop though everything is still there... any way to fix this amount of slop in the clutch pedal?.

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

LostPup wrote:
well the firewall is fine but the thing that stumped me is that you can move the clutch point side to side at the footrest on the pedal about an inch up the top it just has allot of slop though everything is still there... any way to fix this amount of slop in the clutch pedal?.

If the pedal has side to side movement on the pivot point, I'd say the pedal pivot bushes are buggered, they should eliminate any side to side movement,

Mine has about 1 or 2mm side to side play,, nothing can be done because it's slid on a pole with a pin holding it basically.. Guaranteed to have a little movement, but an inch is a lot.....

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

yer it's buggered, you can slop it side to side under your foot, can't be any good for the pedal box.

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

LostPup wrote:
yer it's buggered, you can slop it side to side under your foot, can't be any good for the pedal box.

nope not good ...... may pay ta check that there's no problem with the mounting pin ie cracked/cracking it's mount

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
LostPup wrote:

nope not good ...... may pay ta check that there's no problem with the mounting pin ie cracked/cracking it's mount

that looked all fine, looking at the bushes on ebay i actually didn't see any bushes on the clutch pedal lol so they're just gone. like... completely.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]