Fordmods Logo

ED Head Gasket Replacement 

Page 4 of 10 [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Re: ED Head Gasket Replacement
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
It's the part that locks and releases the tesnsion to the timing chain... that bit you rotate, thinking about it now I'm not sure that it's snapped now or not, Although I do remember using a small bit of tension to break it free, so that bit could be snapped, which but I dunno, I just don't want to have to pull everything apart again, it's taking me too long as it is :x.

So I don't think it's pictured in what you have.

The bit that you rotate when it is inside the tensioner shaft is the tensioner sleeve, which locks itself onto the inside of the piston and in the process compresses the spring releasing the tension on the timing chain guide.

The sleeve is the middle shiny bit...4th from the left. It has a little plug that sits in it in which has the little 3mm allen hole for you to rotate the sleeve with...that plug can fall out...so if that's what you're talking about, then just put it back in :P

I am not sure of what else you are talking about that locks the tension besides the sleeve and piston...unless you are talking about the timing chain guide that gets tensioned by the piston when the spring is not compressed.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
SpeedyED wrote:
It's the part that locks and releases the tesnsion to the timing chain... that bit you rotate, thinking about it now I'm not sure that it's snapped now or not, Although I do remember using a small bit of tension to break it free, so that bit could be snapped, which but I dunno, I just don't want to have to pull everything apart again, it's taking me too long as it is :x.

So I don't think it's pictured in what you have.

The bit that you rotate when it is inside the tensioner shaft is the tensioner sleeve, which locks itself onto the inside of the piston and in the process compresses the spring releasing the tension on the timing chain guide.

The sleeve is the middle shiny bit...4th from the left. It has a little plug that sits in it in which has the little 3mm allen hole for you to rotate the sleeve with...that plug can fall out...so if that's what you're talking about, then just put it back in :P

I am not sure of what else you are talking about that locks the tension besides the sleeve and piston...unless you are talking about the timing chain guide that gets tensioned by the piston when the spring is not compressed.

phong =P~

Oh gosh, could you have made that any more complicated??? :?,

That SQUARE DOWEL looking thing, it sits vertical, when the timing chain is locked, and you go to say, take the camshaft out, you turn that bit CLOCKWISE to release the timing chain tension. I think what's happened is I've released it, and I haven't snapped it (If I had snapped it I don't think the chain tension would have released at all), it's just fallen somewhere down the engine, and it's that bit I need to lock the chain into tension, and that way I can take the cable tie's off the chain and I won't have fear of stuffing up my timing.

Do you see what I mean now???

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

To add to that post, I now know what to do next time... When I went to release the tension, what I did was I took that whole filler plug out completly, took out the tension filter (that silver thingy), and then proceeded to figure out why the hell I couldn't release the tension, and ended up makeing the tool back in the first post to release the timing chain tension.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
Do you see what I mean now???

No...I'm still confused. I'll let someone else take over...

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

damn, I was hoping to find a solution by the morning :(

Basically what I've done is, which I now realised wasn't quite the right way to do it, instead of taking out the 13mm looking bolt out that's in the middle of the filler plug, I've taken the whole wammy out, the whole filler plug, then I've gotten a wire and taken out the silver looking thing, which to my understanding is the tensioner filter, the one that's got the spring in it, then I've been trying to figure out how the hell to turn that thing your supposed to turn clockwise.

Anyway I made that tool that's in the first post, and drilled a hole and shoved a belt in it, then I turned it clockwise and felt it release, and I turned it and I found I could not turn it any further than 90 degree's, which makes me think I haven't snapped this bit at all, then I just extracted my tool and proceeded to cable tie the timing chain to the timing sprocket, and did everything else I've done.

Well that bit that I turned clockwise is now somewhere down the block, and I don't know how I should go about retrieving it....

Does that now make sense???

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

how could you push the "dowel thing" into the sump? the whole thing is enclosed in the cam sleeve of the tensioner. Maybe youve just twisted it up, and need to remove it all and put it together in your hand then refit.

geez i wish the search function was working as i went through all this with about 4 pages of help LOL

EDIT: missed your post above. So you unscrewed the tensioner housing, and then pushed the whole tensioner assembly through the other side?

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I unscrewed the whole thing, took out the silver thing, which is basically what phongus showed in the pics about, then wondered how to turn that thingo, then made that round tool with the bolt sticking out of it to release the chain tension.

EDIT: I only pushed it abit, and it didn't seem to affect anything at all, but never the less the tension released, but as I say, I now realise that I wasn't supposed to do it that way, which was why I was having difficulty to start with, which is seen in the first post.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

you need to pull out the rest of the tensioner. It might feel like its stuck, but it slides out. Then you need to look at phongus's pic above and put it together (the last 4 pieces from the right in phongus's pic is the tensioner), turn it in your hand till it locks up to the tightest position, then refit.

Also make sure you have the allen key piece sitting properly in the end of that jagged toothed cylinder (4th piece from the left in phongus's pic). Also look inside the timing cover to make sure the other end of the tensioner assembly slots onto the chain guide.

Once you push the locked up tensioner back in, then screw the large outer housing back in, with a new seal, then you use your allen key tool with the tube around it to spring out the tensioner by turning anti-clockwise, it will only take a small turn and it will spring out, so no need to keep turning

Then you screw that bolt back in. It will be noisy for a few minutes as the tensioner builds up oil pressure

Last edited by FordFairmont on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well we are getting there but SLOWLY.

I am not talking about any parts that are pictured in phongus's photo.

[quote=FordFairmont]Also look inside the timing cover to make sure the other end of the tensioner assembly slots onto the chain guide.[/quote]

It's that "other end of the tensioner assembly that slots onto the Chain guide that I'm talking about, maybe I should have been all along calling it a CHAIN GUIDE instead of the "PART THAT YOU TURN CLOCKWISE".

Does that help?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

you say that the pic above shows nothing of what your talking about, but you say the end that sticks out inside the timing cover is....... its the same thing dude, thats the tensioner.

So are you talking about the tensioner, or the chain guide, because you dont turn the chain guide at all? :?

bear with me, im trying to understand here

ps: why dont you take a pic, so we know were talking about the same thing :)

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I think it is safe to say I am the first person on FordMods ever to have lost this part, I think.

Lets go back to Phong's photo, the part on the FAR RIGHT, there is a grove in it, which can be clearly seen? yeah?

The part I have lost down the engine block is the bit that sits in that grove, which in essence, releases the tension to the timing chain.

Does that make things better to understand?

EDIT: as for the pic, I'll leave this thread open and if you guy still can't figure out what I'm talking about, I'll cark it for the night at 12:30 :P, then I'll take a pic in the morning, but I can't really take a pic of the part I've lost if it's down the timing case....

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

the whole chain guide fell off ??!! Big green long thing, theres another one on the opposite side of the chain = chain guide.... is that what were talking about?

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

We're almost there,

No, I don't think this part is called the chain guide :P, but we are getting warmer, I think.

This part isn't very big, it measures about 5-7mm width by maybe 20mm in length, It WAS connected to the timing chain GUIDE, looking at the front of the engine as if your working on it, this part was on the left hand side, the power steering pump side, basically right where that DAMNED silver tension thingy would sit!!!!!

I found it very difficult to see this part shining a torch through WITH the head on, but with a bit of movement of the torch I found that this part had definantly come off and was why I was now having trouble re-setting the tension to the chain, and it was a this moment that I found that this bit had fallen a small way down the chain, but when I tryed to grab it with a very long nosed pair of pliers it just fell even futher down the case and out of reach.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:12 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
I think it is safe to say I am the first person on FordMods ever to have lost this part, I think.

Lets go back to Phong's photo, the part on the FAR RIGHT, there is a grove in it, which can be clearly seen? yeah?

The part I have lost down the engine block is the bit that sits in that grove, which in essence, releases the tension to the timing chain.

Does that make things better to understand?

EDIT: as for the pic, I'll leave this thread open and if you guy still can't figure out what I'm talking about, I'll cark it for the night at 12:30 :P, then I'll take a pic in the morning, but I can't really take a pic of the part I've lost if it's down the timing case....

....dude...the bit that sits in THAT groove in the part on the FAR RIGHT of the image I posted (aka, the Piston)...is in fact the chain guide...which if you broke some how, I must say you will need to replace by removing the whole timing chain cover...

And if you do have to replace the guide, you might as well replace the chain and all the guides...

if you did break it...how the hell did you break it? the only way you can break it is if you somehow twisted the piston...really hard.

phong =P~

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

as I said before, I now realise I didn't release the tension correctly.... remember I took the whole filler plug out, and wondered why the allen key trick wasn't working, so I made that tool in the first post...

And don't start saying I'm going to have to replace all the guides and chain aswell..... How much is all this going to be??? another $500 or so? if thats the case I'm not even going to work on that car...

But then again it felt like I didn't break it, at first when I felt it release I could only turn it 90 degree's, but then again it might have still been connected but broken, so when I pulled my invented tool out that thingo would have fallen out...

This is now going to s**t me behond believe.... that's worse than bagging out my old VN Commonbore :? :? :?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 10  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next