Fordmods Logo

ED Head Gasket Replacement 

Page 6 of 10 [ 137 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post subject: Re: ED Head Gasket Replacement
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

oooh FABZ you where the last person I ever expected to say something in this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.

A small update:

I found that the idler pulley I was having problems with is just getting in there with an 4mm allen key and getting it off, thanks to MRE-50 for that info.

I now have the sump hanging down by 3-5 mm or so, I'm not worried if I drop anything inside the sump, if you have all been reading there is no oil in the sump because it was muddy and hence needed the headgasket change! :P

And I need to invest in a harmonic/crankshaft pulley puller, we don't have one of those in our inventory, so I will get stuck into that first thing tomorrow, and hopefully by the end of the day, I will have a new timing guide within it, with a few gaskets or so.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Also, you'll need something to put the balancer back on. I use a bolt from a Commodore front strut mount to stub axle.
Here some of my tools for doing stuff around the harmonic balancer.
The puller only does EA to EL's.
The alloy bit is for installing the harmonic balancer oil seal while in the car.
There is no need to remove the radiator using these tools,..... saves time.

Attachments:
IMGP1107_resize.JPG
IMGP1107_resize.JPG [ 80.41 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]
File comment: Homemade Ford harmonic balancer puller.
IMGP1068_resize.JPG
IMGP1068_resize.JPG [ 51.4 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh damn... just more work for me...

*sigh*, more money to be spent... this aint funny no more....

And as for that Commodore bolt, how the hell do you use that to put the balancer on???? that thing is too small to use isn't it???

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok, I'm getting p****d off at this now.....

Can the car live without the bottom plastic timing dampener? only it's now down the sump, and to the point where my whole arm is in as far as I can get it, with the sump down as far as it will go, will there be a stupid dum f**k rattle there????

Or can I just replace it and leave that plastic guide down the bottom of the sump??? it seems heavy enough not to block anything major, only I am not up for any more work, and it's going to be 38 tomorrow! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

leave it in there. ive got one in the sump, along with half the other falcons that have had the timing cover off lol

make sure you replace it though

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

is it possible that I can modify the sump and have small bolts for it or something? or even just silicon it on?????

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
oh damn... just more work for me...

*sigh*, more money to be spent... this aint funny no more....

And as for that Commodore bolt, how the hell do you use that to put the balancer on???? that thing is too small to use isn't it???

It is the correct thread and is longer than the Ford bolt. I use it and the original washer to put the balancer back on, then take the Commo bolt out, and use the Ford bolt for the rest of the way.
Don't forget to use some Loctite GreyMaxx in the keyway of the balancer to stop it leaking oil.

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

CRAP!, I haven't put any Loctite 243 sealant on that keyway!!!, I might cheat though, I will do the best I can and use a quick dab of silicon around the outer keyway, I might also have to undo a few timing cover bolts and put a quick dab of 243 Sealant on them too.

My to do list at the moment is:

Re-fit sump bolts
Fit new Oil Filter
Re-fit extractor's along with new Gasket
Re-fit inlet manifold along with new Gasket
Re-Fit Radiator
Re-fit Thermo Fans
Fill car temporarily with water
Fill car with Castrol Magnetec (thats what we have on our shelves)

upon fitting the rocker cover, as the rocker gear has been sitting with no cover for abit of time now that I have found that I broke one of the timing guides, I quickly poor some oil over it all, and put the rocker cover on.

And as I mentioned before, once I have the car running, it will be just making sure there are no leaks in the water and oil sections, and with luck I wont need to do much on the balancer, but we will see.

And hopefully that will all be done in one day! if not a little bit into Sunday, Monday will be a different story, as I will be fitting the newly painted bumper, and taking off the door handle's to get painted.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Alright!

Car is running, doesn't leak oil or water.

There are 2 new things I have noticed:

There is a ticking noise but at the back of the Engine, sounds like it's a hydraulic lash sitting too high or something? I had the rocker set in bit's, so maybe I'm missing something like a shim? I didn't think I was but I can check again with ease, I now know how to properly release the tension, cable tie the sprocket to the chain, take the camshaft bolt out, and quickly check each rocker.

The second is that the car is idleing a bit on the high side of things, not too sure there. No idling shudder in Reverse and Drive like there was prior to the headgasket.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well at least the car is running, good on you.

Have you let your car run for about 10mins or so? If so is it still ticking loudly? if it is you might have a stuck tappet. If you haven't let the car run in for a bit, then there might not be enough oil around the rocker arms and such yet.

When I put the head back on my car after having the engine sit for almost half a year, upon start up, there was all kinds of noises. After about 5 - 10mins running in it quiet down, but still noisy after a day or so of driving. Give it some time before you start pulling the rocker cover back out.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nahh, that's the least of my worry's for the moment.

To change the subject slightly, I can't get my bonnet open now :(, the cable's desided to slip I think, because I can pull the bonnet release in and out as much as I want, without pulling it all out, anyway I how do I use the good ol coat hanger trick to get the bonnet open?

Just abit of maintenance is needed now, I need a new Tail light globe, along with a Headlight Relay, but I can't replace the Headlight Relay if I can't get the bonnet open :lol:

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Right, MY CAR IS RUNNING!!! :)

Might need to add my hero's into my sig :lol:

Heros: MRE-50L, FordFairmont, CJH, and last of all, PHONG!!!!! :).

2 things I have noticed,

1, there is a hydraulic lash noise coming from the rear end of the car, but I'm not overly worried about that.

2, there is a rattling like noise when under power and it comes in at about 1500rpm and increases when I get to about 2000rpm.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
Right, MY CAR IS RUNNING!!! :)

Might need to add my hero's into my sig :lol:

Heros: MRE-50L, FordFairmont, CJH, and last of all, PHONG!!!!! :).

2 things I have noticed,

1, there is a hydraulic lash noise coming from the rear end of the car, but I'm not overly worried about that.

2, there is a rattling like noise when under power and it comes in at about 1500rpm and increases when I get to about 2000rpm.

Rattling noise at 1500 - 2000RPM might be your timing chain...if it is coming from the front. Tensioner might not have enough oil in it yet...not sure how long it will take. Mine rattled a bit during start up, but after a drive to work and back (100km or so) it was quieter...doesn't rattle now until I boot it past 3000rpm, after a couple of times past 3000rpm, the rattle is no more until the next day.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'll bear that in mind, I plan on completly running the engine in for about 200-300km with a trip to the Motorshow with Ford Mods, so after that I will change the oil and filter yet again.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

That rattling noise under power could be "Pinging". :|

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 10  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next