Fordmods Logo

ed problems battery alternator. no idea? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: ed problems battery alternator. no idea?
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

HELP?????????????????
my ed has had 3 alternators 2 new batteries ..some moments she is charging well ....then you can watch battery charge go down..if you hit a bump sometimes it goes back up...i am about to put a match to it so can anyone help

:cry:

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:42 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

ok ask a hard question get a hard answer.Logical steps to take..Start with a fully charged battery .When I say fully charged don't use a 4 ah charger for a couple of hours and think that because it starts the car it's got to be fully charged ...it's not.Get a multimeter,set to dc volts.measure battery volts .12.? volts .turn on ignition.Make sure you have battery/charge light working in the cluster.yes ? start the car.make sure battery light goes out.Check volts at battery:13.8-14.6 is acceptable.Check volts at the big wire on the alternator should be same or higher..Point 2 of a volt is ok.Turn lights and a/c on.recheck volts if the difference between battery and alternator is point 5 of a volt you will need an extra wire run between bat & alt.forgot to mention you should rev the engine while doing these tests.Make sure battery treminals are clean and that you do not have a slipping fan belt.Any questions?Feel free.Cheers Kevman :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]