Fordmods Logo

EF 4L into EL Falcon wagon, updated pg3, power issues :-| 

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Wagon

NSW, Australia

thanks mate, just payed for it and its on its way down from qld. would you believe that even at trade prices, aswell as trading in my old engine it would still cost $650 with one month warrenty around the newcastle area. i found a company in queensland that sold the engine for $450+$150 freight making a total of $600 with a 202 day warranty (no idea why its 202) and i still get to keep the old engine.

so the engine will be posted tomorrow, should arrive weds avo at the TNT depo and it should be right to chuck it in on the weekend :-)

yeah if anyone has timing tips etc on how to do the sensor --> dizzy switch then that would be much appreciated. the way that i would do it is put the 1st cyl to TDC, cam lopes on number 1 up and dizzy to number one, is that about right on a ford 6?

thanks guys

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:53 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU II Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Heres somthing for you to think about: I have an au engine in my el, low k's, and really reliable.
Look at these and see what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Modified-AU-4-0- ... dZViewItem

and one not Modifyed:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AU2-Falcon-Low-k ... dZViewItem

Mine is an engine from these fellas, and it only had 27,000klms on it. it was an easy conversion.

Heres the topic here in ford mods on the conversion.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24205

AU II Fairmont congo green FG mags

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

thanks for that mate but i ended up going with the EF engine.. just seems to be the cheapest and easyest option.. i found the engine on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EF-Falcon-4-0-li ... dZViewItem

the car has done 308k's but the EF engine i bought has only done 166k's so im pretty happy with that hehe, should be arriving on weds ill post up some more progress when i pick it up

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

Hey bryce, never thought id see you buy a ford. Good luck with it. If you need a hand putting it in give us a call.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:07 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Top stuff, those guys are the guys I got my engine from :D
Shouldnt have any issues there!!

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:07 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

hey guys, jsut picked up the new engine and iv been switching all the gear over. just in the middle of swapping the dizzy over and after some confermation before i go any ferther. is all this right?

ill put up a bigger better post with more info tongiht :)

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

In the second photo.. what's that coolant doing on the left hand side? That's the only thing that caught my eye hehehe

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ah new engine didnt come with a water pump, so the coolant is just left over from when it was in a car i guess :).. but is the dizzy timing all right?

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Looks about right, but you have to line the rotor up with the 'finish' line in the dizzy.

It probably would be best to put the dizzy in after you put the engine in the car and the aircon pump on. Gives you the opportunity to make sure the TFI is in the right spot and doesnt hit the aircon pump.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

uve got teh skillz :)

Pimp Biatch

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Hey there, all looks good! Thats pretty much the exact angle I had mine on when I installed the dissy into the AU engine.

Might wanna remove the crank angle sensor, tho..

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

well just to recap from the start of the day.. i got a call saying that the engine arrived so i went straight over, picked it up and came straight back home.. oh the suspense

then.. THEN!

ta daaa, they even gave me a seatbelt :)

so after getting it on the ground and giving it the once over it all looked good - or as good as it can be..

then came time to start taking the intake manifold off, all the wires etc and just a check of the inside so off came the rocker cover

there is a noticeable difference between this one and the broken engine.. which is strange and suggest thta the broken engine must have had some head work done at some point.. which might also suggest that the mechanic might have done up the cam gear bolt at the wrong torque rating resulting in the snap? who knows.. but its interesting to see because this EF engine has about half the k's the original EL engine has..

but once the intake manifold was off something caught my eye straight away..

looks like a short or something but iv got no idea what for or if the EL manifold has something it plugs into.. ill soon find out tho!

bogan393 wrote:
Hey bryce, never thought id see you buy a ford. Good luck with it. If you need a hand putting it in give us a call.

haha thanks ted :) its more then likely i will be calling you for some help :P

OPT20EL wrote:

everything seems to be in great order, easy to deal with and a great price, highly recommended 8-)

arm79 wrote:
It probably would be best to put the dizzy in after you put the engine in the car and the aircon pump on. Gives you the opportunity to make sure the TFI is in the right spot and doesnt hit the aircon pump.

i couldnt get this thought off my mind so i put the compressor on to see how it would go and it all looks really good, didnt have to do any adjustments

and as i was doing this ( and as you might see in the picture how i have the dizzy plugged in) that i could simply unclip the plugs on the gearbox and completely remove the engine+gearbox loom, wire it all up on the crate, attach all manifolds, belts etc to be more or less a complete engine, drop it in then not have to worry about trying to bolt up that bastard intake manifold or anything while its in the car. it all seems very easy as iv never had the luxury of having that beautiful master plug between 5th and 6th but is this way possible? there seems to be plenty of room for it to be installed with all the gear attached and this looks like the road im gonna take - if there is no problems with it.. anyone done it this way?

also while im on the whole AC and wiring thing.. im a bit stumped at this.. have a look at the picture below

on the left is the AC cable, in the middle is what i assume is the oil pressure and on the right is just a stray wire front the loom. the center wire is long enough to connect to both the AC and the oil pressure but the one on the right isnt long enough to connect to either? any help would be awesome..

Pumped wrote:
uve got teh skillz :)

skillz :)

OPT20EL wrote:
Hey there, all looks good! Thats pretty much the exact angle I had mine on when I installed the dissy into the AU engine.

Might wanna remove the crank angle sensor, tho..

thanks mate :) im assuming this is the sensor plug?

i thought it was strange i couldnt find anything that plugs into it :oops: ill have to check it out tomorrow..

Last edited by brycey on Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

im sure that last loom is for the engine loom. the others may alsogo in that. I can look for you tomorrow if u wish.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

that last one is the crank angle sensor IIRC. follorw it around to the front, its bolted just above the crank shaft, 2 8mm? bolts hold it on

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next