Post subject: EF 94 Fututra Starting Problems
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BA XT

VIC, Australia

Hey Guys i have an EF 94 Fututra on LPG

Its done around 180kms

As most ppl probably know this im gonna say it again but when i go to start the car it starts on petrol first and then kicks over to gas

Well when i start my car it`ll sit there churning for about 10seconds and then it fires up, blows a whole heap of black smoke and then kicks over to gas and runs fine

My main concern is the delay in firing everytime i go to start it and the whole black smoke thing

i have a useless mechanic look at it and his excuse is teh whole LPG and long kms excuse
And thats why it takes so long to start

But i think its something else

If someone can give me some insite into ideas that`d be great thanx

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Post subject: Re: EF 94 Fututra Starting Problems
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

dannyye wrote:
Well when i start my car it`ll sit there churning for about 10seconds and then it fires up, blows a whole heap of black smoke and then kicks over to gas and runs fine
Does it do this with a hot or cold engine, or just the first start of the day ??

When petrol is selected, does it start the same, or better ???

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

it does it hot or cold

Sometimes worse when cold

Also i starts the same on petrol

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Does it run okay ??, i.e. smooth, or rough at times when driving either on petrol or LPG??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Yeah Runs ok i`ll give you the run through for as much info as i can

On LPG Runs Fine except on Idle where it`ll drop out realise whats happened and compensate by giving it a shot of gas
On Petrol
It runs fine on petrol under load but when ideling it hunts
dropping from under 1,000 to below 5 in a constant rotation

I recenlty had the high pressure seal in the converter fixed
Was leaking like crazy lucky im still alive

The Hunting was tunned up a bit by a mobile mechanic cuz its hard for me to get to a mechanic where i work
But i reckon he didnt do a great job

im on Petrol at the moment just found a gas leak in the converter again so i will have the car in tommorow to have the seal or whatever it is fixed

Hope this helps with your quest for an answer for me

Will drop in to check this forum at work tommorow

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AU Falcon

SA, Australia

is this a tickford factory system? or aftermaket install

98 AU Falcon Futura I6 ABS & Cruise stock (The Wifes car

99 AU Falcon Duel Fuel - Xcab

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:19 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well if it's hunting at idle on both fuels:

1. Clean the idle speed solenoid (ISC) - common condition see http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=23 .
2. Check your spark plugs and leads, clean if necessary. Your ignition system needs to be in good shape, especially for LPG.
3. Check the idle speed and adjust if necessary.
4. Check and clean the crankshaft angle sensor (front of the engine near the harmonic balancer).
5. Check the base timing - it's not adjustable, but it might show something up.

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:41 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hey Snap

Was reading that forum link you gave me and i did that last night and it made a slight difference but still takes a reasonable amount of time to fire
Spark Plug and leads are fine
Its an aftermarket system called Sprint Gas
wheres the crankshaft angle sensor
and how do i check the base timing
P.s i know its not the Map Sensor cuz i had that replaced not long agoand it was working fine until i went to my dads up in NSW just over 1000kms up and back and its been starting this thing since then

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:19 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

dannyye wrote:
Was reading that forum link you gave me and i did that last night and it made a slight difference but still takes a reasonable amount of time to fire
This will only improve the idle.

dannyye wrote:
wheres the crankshaft angle sensor
Behind the harmonic balancer in front of the engine.

Mate, be wise to get yourself a cheapie shop manual for the car - Ellery's or a Gregory's, at around $40 (less than an hours mechanic labour), they're not expensive - otherwise, it's like doing a job with half the tools, you'll never get a satisfactory result. The troubleshooting sections in them aren't too bad

For starting, you need a decent spark, decent cranking speed, decent fuel supply, and decent compression.

Hope this helps . . . . .

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hey thanx so much for the Help Snap

Just put the Car in the Shop of my stepfathers mechanic
Got a call in bout 1/2 hr
he said that i have torn the diaphram for the fuel pressure regualtor so it was getting a heap of fuel running through the tear and also frome the fuel rail

Will see when he calls me if its fixed and keep you posted

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Righto mate - good luck. Pretty rare I thought for a fuel reg to go - they can be checked yourself while they're running - pull the vaccy hose, and suck on it, if you taste fuel, the diaphragm is perforated or ruptured.

With dual fuel cars, it's wise to use the petrol system regularly, say 20km on petrol with every tankful of LPG, don't just use it for starting. Otherwise long term you will get issues with the fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, etc.

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Kewl thanx for the info

Iv been driving around o n Fuel for a while now just to get the car used to it again

got a quick Question for you

Ive gotta change my front disc pads
is it done the same way as the rears

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]