EF and EL auto differences 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: EF and EL auto differences
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Not having much luck with this in the Drive-line forum.

My sisters EL Futura's auto kicks into 4th (lock-up) at 60kmh straight away. Not after 5 minutes of cruising at 60. And her drive-line hum is non existent.
My EF Fairmont only goes in 4th at 75kmh, and there is excessive hum from the torque convertor locking up. Like the car is too slow for top gear and it appears to labor under load, very loud humming vibration into floor of the cabin. Is mine stuffed? :?

Post subject: Re: EF and EL auto differences
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Futura

VIC, Australia

Kit wrote:
Not having much luck with this in the Drive-line forum.

My sisters EL Futura's auto kicks into 4th (lock-up) at 60kmh straight away. Not after 5 minutes of cruising at 60. And her drive-line hum is non existent.
My EF Fairmont only goes in 4th at 75kmh, and there is excessive hum from the torque convertor locking up. Like the car is too slow for top gear and it appears to labor under load, very loud humming vibration into floor of the cabin. Is mine stuffed? :?

Not sure but have you tried doing a tranny service and a full converter flush?

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah service was done about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

has it made the humming vibration since ya changed the trans fluid. dont know much abotu trans but if the mechanic did it he could have stuffed up and put the wrong trans fluid in??

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Alrighty then :) sounds like I should be looking at another full auto service and flush before getting one of my mechs. to pull it apart. He sounds like he's going to try and do the proce$$ of elimination anyway. He mentioned doing a ton of s**t before even going into the auto trans.

Would putting the wrong fluid in kill it, or will new correct fluid possibly fix this up?

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

putting the wrong fluid in can kill the box yes... the ford box is a fussy little C*** :P

if the fluid is incorrect or to old then a change can make a big difference

i gotta do mine some time, hasnt been done in 120,000km

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Post subject: tranny
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Typhoon

WA, Australia

The ford 4 speed auto are a very strong auto but once they start whinning and clunkin its all ova word of advise if ur auto is on the way out dont carry out a auto flush you do more worse that good trust me

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Ok then .Mine is on the way out as well. What is a good replacement for it ? And where in perth can I get it done?

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

P.S - I have also got a shudder when I put the foot down after slowing down .EG: going around a corner. Is this the box as well?

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EL's dont kick into lockup at 60... The car would be reving at near idle speeds at 60 with a 3.08 diff...

75 to 80km/h sounds more right. And I would think if your hearing a hum it would more likely be an old uni joint or driveshaft vibration. Have you had the driveshaft balanced. Even if its slightly out of balance you will get a high frequency hum through the cabin.

My EL had a slight vibration that I could feel if I put my foot or hand somewhere on the trans tunnel, near the trans. You couldn't hear it, but it could be felt. I had the auto and trans rebuilt (not for that vibration, just for the hell of it) and the converter was perfect. Was told not much really happens with them, unless they may drop a balance weight off the front.. Very very rare... but was told that the planetary gears were a bit mashed up... no explaination for it tho

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Kit wrote:
Yeah service was done about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago.

That's quite some time ago. I had a full flush done just over a year ago, and I serviced it the other day (drainined as much oil as possiable and changed the filter and pan gasket), and the difference is sensational between what it was before the service.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
EL's dont kick into lockup at 60... The car would be reving at near idle speeds at 60 with a 3.08 diff...

75 to 80km/h sounds more right. And I would think if your hearing a hum it would more likely be an old uni joint or driveshaft vibration. Have you had the driveshaft balanced. Even if its slightly out of balance you will get a high frequency hum through the cabin.

My EL had a slight vibration that I could feel if I put my foot or hand somewhere on the trans tunnel, near the trans. You couldn't hear it, but it could be felt. I had the auto and trans rebuilt (not for that vibration, just for the hell of it) and the converter was perfect. Was told not much really happens with them, unless they may drop a balance weight off the front.. Very very rare... but was told that the planetary gears were a bit mashed up... no explaination for it tho

My sisters EL goes into 4th at 60kmh (Economy Mode). I was surprised too. I know this because when it did it I moved the selector back to 3rd, and she went back a gear and the revs rose, back into D, and straight away it goes in to 4th. At 60 her revs are really nice and low. Very smooth.
Like mine is when I select POWER mode, but without the LOW FREQUENCY booming or hum which happens to me at 80kmh.

Another difference between her EL and my EF, in POWER Mode, criusing at 80 kmh in the EF, if I switch between power and economy, the revs change up or down 200rpm. Lower revs at 80 in ECON, revs rise by 200rpm whe I switch it to POWER.
The EL doesn't do this at all.
Is it possible my EF's ECU is faulty. Have my shifting points been screwed up?

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:08 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Just for more statistics for you :)

My EF on ECON won't go into 4th untill i'm doing a smooth 70Km or more.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Driving the EL today I had a closer inspection. In ECON, this thing actually kicks into 4th at 55 KMH. No laboring. No vibration, just a small rear shunt in the drive-line when it does it. I'm starting to think hers isn't alright either.
Another thing mine does on some startups is a fairly big knock from the engine bay as the engine violently starts up. The EL starts smooth with just the sound of the engine starting. Mine seems to knock once, quite loud, it just could be that an engine mount is going bad.
So I'll do an auto service, check engine mounts and maybe go to EL ones, and have the driveshaft balanced and new uni's put in? I don't know, really?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]