Fordmods Logo

Ef Belt tensioner and a/c pump issues (Urgent help please) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef Belt tensioner and a/c pump issues (Urgent help please)
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi guys,
Long time viewer, first time poster.
I have an efii Gli that has thrown an A/C pump. My issue is that I have travelling up the coast first thing friday morning and I need to get the old girl going again. The A/C Pump has thrown it's bearings and clutchs so it is well and truley had the richard. I have pulled the pump out easy enough, but for the life of me i have no idea where the belt tensioner is, so i did a little giggling to get the pump out. So if some one could explain or show me where the tensioner is i would appreciate it. An online manual would be really handy. I usually work on 60's mini's which only use the alt as the tensioner. All this new fangled serpent belt is a little odd to me.
As i only have tomorrow morning to find a pump and install it( ihave to be at work at 1pm) Any hints as to where to find a good second hand one near calingfrod in sydney would be appreciated.
If i can't find one in time, is it possible to retension the exisiting belt without the a/c pump in place or is there another belt that i can get from repco or the likes to replace until i do get a pump.
I really do appreciate any help you guys can give me on this one. Thanks in advance

Cheers
Aaron

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

You get a socketless wrench into the square slot on the serpetine assembly, and push in a clockwise motion....... this will move the assembly towards the passenger side, relieving tension on the belt.

Sorry, im sure theres some better words to put it in

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

The big circle is the tensioner, and the little circle is where you release the tension using a 3/8 ratchet with a short extension on the end. You just fit it into the square hold and turn clockwise to release the tension.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

that makes it much clearer. Thanks guys

Now anyone know where to get a pump cheap cheap, quick quick?

Cheers
Aaron

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]