Fordmods Logo

EF Bottom End and AUIII head on top can it be done? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EF Bottom End and AUIII head on top can it be done?
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 11

Joined: 30th Oct 2005

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

hi all just wondering if i can put on my falcon which is 94 ef xr6 a head out of a AUIII XR6 without any modifications or changing over the ecu? cheers...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 3277

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

yep it will work

just use all the AU rocker gear cam etc etc..

 

_________________

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

is the 94DT head which came in the EF XR6 ment to be one of the better XR/Tickford heads to begin with though?

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 6

Joined: 21st May 2006

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF11 Ghia

Location: melton west
VIC, Australia

ReGiE wrote:
yep it will work

just use all the AU rocker gear cam etc etc..


Is it also advisable to use au head gasket as well for the conversion....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 167

Joined: 13th Aug 2005

Ride: R34 GTR

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

haha.....i think u want that combination the other way around! AU bottom end with EF head. EF ports are bigger, therefore flow more. Isnt the AU 'VCT' ?? You'll need to change computer.

 

_________________

LUMPY-6

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3363

Joined: 27th Dec 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

Location: G town
VIC, Australia

what would be point? they had exactly the same power...only worth it if its VCT, but then u would need the ECU

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:50 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 214

Joined: 8th May 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melb
VIC, Australia

id go ed bottom end with au1 head and au2,3 head gasket

 

_________________

aaahh yes! a forums with more freedom than a nerd in an empty library- www.psupernak.com register asap!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3363

Joined: 27th Dec 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

Location: G town
VIC, Australia

psupernak wrote:
id go ed bottom end with au1 head and au2,3 head gasket


.....and.......why?

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:53 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 214

Joined: 8th May 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melb
VIC, Australia

ed was a strong bottom end, au was a good head and all other gaskets are not so good

 

_________________

aaahh yes! a forums with more freedom than a nerd in an empty library- www.psupernak.com register asap!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:32 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 34

Posts: 3406

Joined: 7th Feb 2005

Ride: AU2 Ute

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

psupernak wrote:
ed was a strong bottom end, au was a good head and all other gaskets are not so good


What makes the ED bottom end any stronger than any other?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

AU bottom end as it smoother. The 94DT which is the Tickford/XR6 head fitted to EF's I've been told is the best out of the stock Tickford heads.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:42 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 40

Posts: 227

Joined: 21st Jun 2005

Location: Melbourne: Thornbury
VIC, Australia

efmarek wrote:
EF ports are bigger, therefore flow more.


no basis in fact or logic. :roll:

Just because one hypothetical port (port A) is larger in diameter compared to a similar hypothetical port (port B) does not mean it will out flow.

The larger the port the lower the air speed.

#1 there is a bees d**k difference in the ports.
#2 Au valves are bigger.
#3 common to both of these heads they flow poorly on the exhaust side.

When i ported my 94AB head (only a few weeks ago) all that was really required in terms of flow was to address the shocking short turn side of the exhaust port and blend that into the bowl area. I did however do a bunch of other work to it.

Had i used an AU head the work would have been identical yet i would have got a better flow result due to the difference in valve guides and the fact that the AU has larger valves. If it wasn't for the limited cam selection i probably would have used an AU head.

Thus ends our lesson for today.

 

_________________

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3363

Joined: 27th Dec 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

Location: G town
VIC, Australia

aaron_hogan wrote:
efmarek wrote:
EF ports are bigger, therefore flow more.


no basis in fact or logic. :roll:

Just because one hypothetical port (port A) is larger in diameter compared to a similar hypothetical port (port B) does not mean it will out flow.

The larger the port the lower the air speed.

#1 there is a bees d**k difference in the ports.
#2 Au valves are bigger.
#3 common to both of these heads they flow poorly on the exhaust side.

When i ported my 94AB head (only a few weeks ago) all that was really required in terms of flow was to address the shocking short turn side of the exhaust port and blend that into the bowl area. I did however do a bunch of other work to it.

Had i used an AU head the work would have been identical yet i would have got a better flow result due to the difference in valve guides and the fact that the AU has larger valves. If it wasn't for the limited cam selection i probably would have used an AU head.

Thus ends our lesson for today.


and what an enjoyable lesson it was....whens the next one??

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:17 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names