Fordmods Logo

EF/EL head interchangeable? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EF/EL head interchangeable?
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hey guys..

Currently have a 97 EL Ghia with CMS stage 2 head and cam..

Sadly the car as a whole has seen better days after being thrashed threw work..

Im looking at picking up a new EF/EL preferably xr6 and being a manual..

Should I have any dramas swapping the heads if i end up getting a EF, is a straight forward change?

How big of a job is changing the heads?

Also while its off what sort of work should I do to the CMS head only want to spend about $500 (never got head work done so not sure if I need to budget more money..)

Also as it has a new diff, can I change them over.. More asking Is there any other parts different besides the tail shaft between the auto and manual?

Cheers
Daniel

Post subject: Re: EF/EL head interchangeable?
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Right through to AU is compatible back to EA...

See my build thread... There is a section in there where the AU VCT head went onto my ED block... Soon I am upgrading to a whole VCT motor with electronics...

So yes you'll have no worries...

Head isn't too bad... Make sure you buy new head bolts you can't re use them and have the skimmed true... The head bolts tension will vary between whether you use the EF/EL fibre type head gasket or the AU MLS head gasket... You will need a tension wrench and degree meter to do the head bolts up...

You need an appropriate tool to remove the timing chain tensioner when you go to lift the sprocket back up onto the cam... You need to reset the tensioner to it's park position and re install then left the sprocket onto the cam and then unload the tensioner back onto the chain again...

Other than that it is all down to cleaning the top of the block and making sure it is spot on before putting the gasket glue (hylomar or similar) onto the gasket and re installing...

Someone who knows what they're doing would do it in a day without too much worry... Make take you a little longer depending how you go...

Can't comment on head work but I know it isn't cheap...

Tail shafts are the same from EA to AU auto... The only different shaft is the AU manual which has longer box and hence shorter tail shaft... All other sedans are the same... Some tail shafts had bob weights and some didn't but that is neither here nor there... They will work... EA and EB diffs with 25 spline 2 pinion which the hydraulic brake lines on the diff... EBII and ED were the same but 28 spline 4 pinion... EF/EL/AU were the same 28 spline 4 pinion but had the hand brake lines on the diff instead the hydraulic lines run down the trailing arms...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Awesome! Cheers for the help mate.

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

No worries... Appreciate someone coming on asking useful questions and apply appropriate punctuation and grammar... Seems to be lacking a large amount of that here lately... :?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Beckett wrote:
Hey guys..

Currently have a 97 EL Ghia with CMS stage 2 head and cam..

Sadly the car as a whole has seen better days after being thrashed threw work..

Im looking at picking up a new EF/EL preferably xr6 and being a manual..

Should I have any dramas swapping the heads if i end up getting a EF, is a straight forward change?

How big of a job is changing the heads?

Also while its off what sort of work should I do to the CMS head only want to spend about $500 (never got head work done so not sure if I need to budget more money..)

Also as it has a new diff, can I change them over.. More asking Is there any other parts different besides the tail shaft between the auto and manual?

Cheers
Daniel

EF/EL Head is interchangable with no issues. Only problem is with using EF/Early EL Rockers or cam with a Hybrid EL head. CMS Stage 2 head already has work done. I am assuming you want additional porting done. The more Port work the more the cost.

As for the EL Diif into the EF, you will need to use the rear section Handbrake cable on a EF as the differ in the way they mount at the diff. Make sure you use the EL upper control arms as they differ with the EF. Different mount points for the EL XR/Ghia Diff.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

So say with a budget of $500 would it be worth getting more work done?

Also who would you recommend in NSW?

Cheers,
Daniel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]