EF engine running funny. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EF engine running funny.
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Hey hey,

before you say "another ef miss thread ffs" i have searched for ages and can't find a suitable answer. I can't even find the thread i started a couple of months ago on this subject.

Anyway, my EF engine has always had a little miss in the 10-15% throttle range, and in the last few weeks, its been getting worse, not outside the range, just stronger. It also now slighty misses every o=now and then on idle, and funnily enough, i noticed today, its a little worse in the rain.

Things i have tried/changed are:

-Tried 2 ecu's
-Tried 2 map sensors
-Changed coilpacks
-Changed plugs
-Changed IAT sensor
-Changed Leads
-Changed exhaust manifold gaskets (all of them)
-Changed TPS x2
-ICS x 2 and now its blocked off

And i just bought but have not yet fitted (due to the rain) a new crank angle sensor, and qxy sensor.

My boggle is, it seems like a load type problem, only happening at the 10-15% point, and i've changed all sensors having to do with load, with no dice.

Question, besides the 2 sensors i have yet to do this arvo when my carport drys abit, is there any sensors i have missed that MAY have to do with this?

Also, (hopefully not) is this a symptom of auxilary shaft failure?

The car is an EB sedan, with complete EF Mont engine, full loom, EF Manual computer, EB T5, Only performance mods so far being CAI and 2.5".

Any ideas/helps appreciated.

Andrew.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

have you replaced the inlet gasket???this will cause a miss if it has a crack in it.
have you had your injectors cleaned???this will cause a miss under load and also at idle conditions.
maybe you have water in your fuel,maybe put a couple of table spoons of metho into the fuel tank.
have you checked the resistance of your ignition leads if they are high it will cause a miss.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

KRUPTD wrote:
have you replaced the inlet gasket???this will cause a miss if it has a crack in it.
have you had your injectors cleaned???this will cause a miss under load and also at idle conditions.
maybe you have water in your fuel,maybe put a couple of table spoons of metho into the fuel tank.
have you checked the resistance of your ignition leads if they are high it will cause a miss.

I knew i forgot something,

Yes injectors are done, they are new AU injectors, and still no difference. Also the fuel filter has been done, and the pump is good.

I havent tested the leads for resistance for 2 reasons, they are new, and it still did it with the old ones, it has done it for months and months, and tank was completly drained when the engine conv was done.

This leaves inlet manifold gasket.

I like this sugestion, and i haven't even thought of it yet. However, wen i did the injector swap, i noticed the inlet manifold bolts were not tight, so i tightened them and thought nothing more. I will go out now and check for inlet leaks.

Thank you heaps for the input kruptor, i think your onto something.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

no worries mate glad to be of some help to ya.also i have another idea,could be a worn valve seat.the only good way of testing this is by doing a cylinder leakage test.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks dude,

I tested comp when i bought the donor, and it came up perfect, and it still did it then, so hopefully not nothing like that, but if there is a small problem there, it'll get fixed when i put the cam and XR valves in it.

I tested for inlet leaks last night, but i don't think the car was warm enough, so i';ll just change the gasket tomorrow anyway, they're cheap enough.

I fitted the oxy sensor, and it smoothed up the car generally, but not the problem i'm having, will fit the crank sensor tomorrow, but i doubt the problem will be that.

I hope to have it fixed before doing the cam/head/chip swap.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

mine had a miss at part throttle which faarked me off for months. Amongst 10 other things, i changed the crank angle sensor, didnt fix it, then had a new balancer fitted and problem gone.

dunno what the f**k it was though but im glad its gone

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Interesting but makes sense too, as this is what tells the cxrank sensor where the engine is, i guess if it is worn and therefore not balanced, the harmonics can be f**k at certain load, causing crank sensor to be confused.

Hmmm, my balancer is a little suspect too anyway, just feels too worn, i will buy one next week if the funds permit, as it sort of needs one anyway.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i didnt mean a compression test.i mean a cylinder leakage test this is very different to a compression test.

a cylinder leakage test is where you put compressed air into a cylinder with the valves closed and then you listen to where the compressed air is leaking from,either from the compression rings or the inlet valves or the exhaust valves.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ah yes sorry i misread what you wrote, haha got a few things going on here, lol.

Will spend some more time on it tomorrow arvo, and hopefully we'll have an answer.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]