Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont GHIA engine swap 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont GHIA engine swap
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 Fairmont GHIA

ACT, Australia

So my beloved '95 Fairmont GHIA is out of commission. The oil is milky, it's going through a lot more water and coolant, so that's most likely a blown head gasket, or cracked head. I wasn't too worried about that, but I noticed there's also a knocking sound coming from what sounds like the bottom of the engine, which is a real worry.

So my question is this, is it worth ripping apart the engine, seeing if it's just the gasket, and hoping that the knocking sounds goes, or replace the engine with a '96 Fairmont engine, that my mate wrote off a couple of years ago? The motor from the '96 hasn't been damaged at all, done 30k less kilometres than mine, but hasn't been touched in around 2 years. If replacing the motor is a better choice, what steps are to be taken in swapping them?

- Cheers, Lance.

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont GHIA engine swap
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

how many kms are on yours? mines had a knocking sound coming from it for a while now, if youv blown the head just swap engines if the other one sounds better than yours and if it has no sign of knocking or any real problems, replace the oil pump and waterpump while you have the replacement engine out so it rules out blowing this engine if the oil pump thats in it lets go, and water pump would just be easier to do while the engines out instead of taking the thermos out and serp belt off 2-4 months down the track if it lets go on you

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 Fairmont GHIA

ACT, Australia

bry40l wrote:
how many kms are on yours? mines had a knocking sound coming from it for a while now, if youv blown the head just swap engines if the other one sounds better than yours and if it has no sign of knocking or any real problems, replace the oil pump and waterpump while you have the replacement engine out so it rules out blowing this engine if the oil pump thats in it lets go, and water pump would just be easier to do while the engines out instead of taking the thermos out and serp belt off 2-4 months down the track if it lets go on you

I'm on 240k, while his is on 210k. Where would be the best place to get a new oil/water pump from. Wise to trust ebay?

- Lance

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

nah, unless your looking for a specific brand that you know is good and theyre selling them on ebay, wouldnt expect the bottom end to give up after 240, mines done 350 thousand and its knocking a bit,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]