Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont oil pressure 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont oil pressure
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

First time

My EF's oil pressure when the car gets hot drops right off. It happens when you stop - the oil pressure guage drops into the red. When you take off again and the revs go up the oil pressure rises to normal. The car sounds fine and many a mechanic has baulked at trying to get to the bottome of the problem telling me to ignore the guage - bit hard when the warning light comes on and audio alarm is screaming at you. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or has had similar problems. Have tried a heavier grade of oil which seemed to help marginally.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If it's your oil pump, i can understand why most mechanic's will be cringing.

The oil pump is located inside the sump & the only way i know of to change it is to remove the engine from the mounts & lift high enough to be able to remove the sump. If your down there, and the engine has high mileage, it would be better to just rebuild atleast your bottom end, if not the whole engine.

Have you tried another gauge or sender to see if you get the same readings?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

The ol' EA's gauge is all over the shop too. At stand still, it'll be at about 20-30% above red, rolling it'll sit between 40-60% and the other day, I was up at about 80-85%, so I backed off the accelerating and let it settle before anything bad happened.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

I believe the low oil pressure gauge reading is actually caused by a bad earth rather then actual low oil pressure. This is very common on EF fairmonts/XR's. Put a secondary mechanical gauge on the car and check what the actual oil pressure is doing. I think you will find the mechanical gauge will show that there is enough oil pressure at idle even though the ford electronic one is sitting on the warning. This doesn't seem to happen with EL, so I'd assume the dash clusters are configured differently in them.

Good luck with it, let us know how you go.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Maybe you oil pressure sender has had it.
If you can borrow another electronic gauge it will at least rule out the cluster and earth.
As said above most accurate reading is from a mechanical gauge.

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont oil pressure
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Slugo wrote:
First time

My EF's oil pressure when the car gets hot drops right off. It happens when you stop - the oil pressure guage drops into the red. When you take off again and the revs go up the oil pressure rises to normal. The car sounds fine and many a mechanic has baulked at trying to get to the bottome of the problem telling me to ignore the guage - bit hard when the warning light comes on and audio alarm is screaming at you. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or has had similar problems. Have tried a heavier grade of oil which seemed to help marginally.

Howard de Zylva

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

My EF Mont does exactly the same thing, not that anyone gives a f&*k, lol.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

First thing i would be doing is getting your oil pressure checked. Especially before doing engine rebuilds........

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont oil pressure
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Slugo wrote:
First time

my EF Fairmont Ghia does exactly same thing. But not all the time some days it works fine must be a earth problem or faulty oil gauge, not sure how to fix it so I just cope- hope. Must get a mechanical oil gauge.

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

my ba also does the same thing. plenty of oil in the motor and it only goes just above the first 1/4 mark on the temp gauge. going to try another gauge tomorrow, however if the same thing happens there would it be the oil pump?

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Mont

TAS, Australia

I got a similar prob in my EF mont, except my oil pressure is always sitting right up the top one mark below the yellow. I'm guessing its a screwed gauge, but yea. Scarey.

Sanity is for the Weak!!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EF FAIRMONT

WA, Australia

MUST BE REAL COMMON PROB,MY EF MONT DOES THE SAME THING,1 DAY ITS LOW THE NEXT SPOT ON,I CLEANED THE CONTACTS TO THE SENDER,THE BODY EARTH ECT AND SORTED ITS SELF FOR ABOUT A MONTH BUT NOW SHE'S ALL OVER THE SHOW AGAIN LIKE A MAD WOMENS SH*T

IF YOU WANT MORE GRUNT ROOT A PIG

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

ratt351 wrote:
MUST BE REAL COMMON PROB,MY EF MONT DOES THE SAME THING,1 DAY ITS LOW THE NEXT SPOT ON,I CLEANED THE CONTACTS TO THE SENDER,THE BODY EARTH ECT AND SORTED ITS SELF FOR ABOUT A MONTH BUT NOW SHE'S ALL OVER THE SHOW AGAIN LIKE A MAD WOMENS SH*T

why are you shouting? lol!! :D

LETS GET THE FALCON HELL OUTA HERE!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

mine bounces around low and the forst line.. always has done, plenty of oil in the engine, no noises so never worreid about it

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Can anyone tell me how the sender works? I think I have no earth on mine - Just pulled it out of my donor Fairmont sedan and put it into the Futura with the Fairmont instrument cluster, bem, etc etc etc etc...

I am getting a reading esactly the same as I was getting when the block had a oil switch in it... IE - THe needle pulses upwards and just keeps going until it cannot go any further.

Does the pressure sender work by having resistance? IE - If I have no earth it will read off the scale (high)...

I do have another OIL PRESSURE SENDER on the original white Fairmont that I may go and grab tomorrow.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]