Ef Fairmont thermo housing gasket 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef Fairmont thermo housing gasket
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hey, looked at the cooling system the other day getting a list for the cooling system overhall's needed and noticed most of its brand new. I am going to reverse flush the radiator, replace coolant ( 3rd time in 3 months grr) and fix the thermo housing leak. Couple of questions:
I cannot find a gasket for were the thermo housing joins the head...... is there one available? If not I will buy some gasket paper and make one. What thickness would people advise the gasket paper be?
I also replaced the thermo about 2 months ago and did inner gasket while I was at it but the inner gasket is leaking now and its also leaking out the head/housing side. I was thinking of putting a gasket also were the housing joins over the thermo, of course not touching the inner gasket. Would this be worth while?
The hose that bolts on for the heater(?), does it have any rings or seals of some sort?
I will also be filing all contact sides dead straight for a better seal, any help would be great
raven

Post subject: Re: Ef Fairmont thermo housing gasket
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

You can buy them from Ford, the water housing to head gasket.....they are metal.
It would be prudent to remove the housing, and file finishing the gasket surfaces as they easily get warped.....both surfaces, the head surface face, and the t'stat surface face too ( file the water outlet too face too), and replace the 'O'ring where the heater by-pass tube goes into it.
A small amount of sealant is required for metal gasket, and none is required for the T'stat seal.
Make sure you have an 1/8" hole in the t'stat itself......this stops heat shock at the radiator and helps bleed air from the system.

Attachments:
Genuine Ford thermostats. 002.jpg
Genuine Ford thermostats. 002.jpg [ 363.49 KiB | Viewed 499 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

If you can't get you're hands on the gasket you can use silicone. I use high temp red on my car and it works great.
Smear it around the thermo o ring seal. It won't leak. I'm using it a the housing to head gasket, on the by pass o ring, on exhaust manifold gaskets, on exhaust gaskets, timing case, chain tentioner. I could go on haha

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

thanks guys. I have black goo at the moment as supercrap had no motorbike goo left. The one thats resistant to fuel and extreme temps. Good stuff.
Nice to know about the metal gasket, makes life easier. Will file it all back perfectly as I have had HOURS of practice on Commywhore double barrel strongys. Its getting to the time were more in depth maintainance is due ( 175000k), so I will be filing back the head port surface to be sure.If the rain stops for an hour or two Im going for it. Garage is full so the d/way is all I got.
Next job is to stop a leaky join in the cat back I got. Its 2.5" and were it joins its leaking. The brace I got was 2.85 ( all they had), and I have to grab a smaller brace. Got the Lukey Ebay job, and it doesnt sit centre at the tail. Has anyone else experienced this on these units? Want to drop an oval tip, so was thinking about bending some brace arms. Rubbers are brand new.
Then its on to the sender( pm me if you got one for sale)unit and fuel pump, flush fuel lines, clean tank and inlet man, then drop au injectors in it..........

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]