EF falcon with AU 3 Motor not running correctly 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: EF falcon with AU 3 Motor not running correctly
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon

WA, Australia

Hi Guys,

I could tell you all a bit of a story or of the adventures this car has been on to get it to the frustration that it's at today. But I won't. Massive story, with many sad endings. But I will however tell a story of where it is at though lol.

So here's where it is at: I've got an EF Falcon Futura 6 Cylinder 5 Speed manual with an AU Series 3 motor.
I'm using all the EF running gear accept for the alternator (the alternator I hadn't touched, stuck with the AU one) had troubles in the past with trying wire in AU throttle body sensors but I've realised they play havoc on the ECU.
I've managed to get the engine harness correct now with wiring back all the plugs on for the EF throttle body sensors.
Have also drilled and tapped a thread on the AU block to allow for the EF knock sensor.

It's been through the ringer with many motors, so a warning in adanvace this won't be a regular walk in the park.

This is what it's doing now: idles perfectly, runs very rich as in fouls the plugs really quickly from new. And struggles to rev on acceleration.
I'm positive there's no leaks in the air intake manifold, as I have installed a new gasket between the head and manifold. Tightened all bolts to spec and haven't touched the two halves of the manifold either. Have replaced the Coil Pack and Spark Plug Leads.
Originally as thought it was the tinning but my brother (mechanic) has completely redone the timing on the engine, by lining all the marks up correctly.

The recommendations of my brother has me led into replacing the Cam Angle Sensor and Fuel Pressure Regulator in the hopes that the richness will go away and it will rev properly again. I've also got an ECU on the way.

My question is (after going through the gruelling story): what else could it be?

Any help would be appreciated.
 Post subject: Re: EF falcon with AU 3 Motor not running correctly
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Hey there,

I had a very similar experience and found that i managed to blow a 10 month old 200cpsi cat from its housing, turn sideways in the cat and block the exhaust. Car wouldn't rev over 3g and it rattled me for so long checking ALL the usual gear on the ef's.

I also found the cam angle sensor to be a useless waste of space with a code logging all the time even after replacement and checking the wiring with a multi meter, so i just unplugged the thing as the ecu only needs to know the position of the crank to batch fire injectors and ignition.

The first thought that came to mind which you did mention is the reg and that's a good move, so if that don't fix it check for a blocked exhaust or stuffed O2 sensor.

Hope that gives you some leads bro.

Cheers Joel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]