EF Falcon wont start help needed 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF Falcon wont start help needed
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

NT, Australia

Hi Guys

I have an EF falcon that wont start. Before I went on holiday it worked fine but when I got home it wouldn't start. Motor turns over but wont start. I have Checked all the fuses, fuel and battery and all ok.

What I have found so far is that I am not getting any spark to any the spark plugs. I have checked the cam sensor, which I pulled out cleaned up and tested with a multimeter which came to 358 Ohms. reinstalled and still no spark. Have now pulled out the coil pack and tested the Secondary coils and that came back at 9.2 K Ohms, I haven't tested the Primary coil yet as I can't remember which pin is the 12 Volt supply and what the values I should be getting. I did unpluged the main connector to the coil pack and I have also confirmed that I do get a 12 Volt power supply to there and I also tested the other pins to see if I get any signals from them which I do but I don't know how many Ohms it should be. I have also done the same to one of the injectors to make sure that is getting signal as well, which it is.

Any more ideas on what else could be causing the problem would be much apprciated

Also does anyone know where I can dowload a service manual for it as well

Post subject: Re: EF Falcon wont start help needed
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if your smartlock light flashing? does your interior light come on? same thing happened to me and it was a blown fuse for the interior light.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Does the interior light work?(10A ctrl/lamp fuse controls smart lock).-cuts fuel injectors

Another few things is check you can hear the fuel pump prime and smash the dash near your left knee where the body control module sits. Drysolder joints cause start issues...

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

EL___Fairmont wrote:
Does the interior light work?(10A ctrl/lamp fuse controls smart lock).-cuts fuel injectors

Another few things is check you can hear the fuel pump prime and smash the dash near your left knee where the body control module sits. Drysolder joints cause start issues...

The CRT fuse was blown and I have replaced it with a new 10 amp fuse. I can hear the fuel pump come on and turn off but I am unsure how the fuel pump would effect it from getting spark. I will try hitting the BCM once I have the coil pack put back in. Thanks

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if the crt fuse was blown, theres your problem. it controls your smartlock aswell

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD Falcon 351 Toploader

WA, Australia

Yep it was just the crt fuse mate, i have bought many e-series off people that are over trying to fix there cars. Just for me to show up and change the fuse once ive paid for it and drive off lol :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

When I replaced the fuse I tried starting it again and found that it still didn't start up, the starter motor turned and nothing else happened. So not sure what else to do

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Chuck your coilpack back in and disconnect the battery for 30 mins then try again.

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

Thanks mate I didn't do that when I replaced the fuse so will let you know what happens when I reconnect the coilpack up

If for some strange reason that doesn't work what else should I check or do

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

The next thing i would check is the ecu relay which is either the brown or green one below the coolant reservoir.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:12 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DL LTD

QLD, Australia

I had the same issue years ago when the DL had sat for 12 months, except it was intermitent. After pulling the dizzy out and a heap of other stuff, I ended up pulling all the relays and fuses out from around the battery and overflow. Gave them all a clean with a wire brush and put some rp7 over the lot....it started like it was a new pup....if you havent already done so give it a shot you could get lucky.

Lets just pretend I give a s**t and leave it at that.....

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

I have rechecked the fuse and it is fine. I have removed the interior lamp out a couple of months ago as the kids had a bad habbit of leaving the door open which made the battery flat should I look at putting it back in again and also I disconnected the one in the boot as well with the same issue of the kids leaving that open as well.

I did pull all the relay fuses out and did a vissual check on them but I never gave them a clean but will do that as well just to be sure. Would it be a good idea for me to test all the relays with a multimeter if so whats the best way of testing them

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF V8 Station Wagon

New Zealand

I have a 98 EL wagon, I parked it up for awhile to do some bodywork, about 3 weeks. It has not started since. The door locks were going up and down consistently for about 30 seconds everytime I used it prior to being parked up. Now the back door will not open at all by key or by the central locking. Motor turns over fine, fuel pump can be heard to "click: have tried the fuses, interior light etc but all to no avail.

Would the back door not working have any effect on the starting? If so, is there a way to get into it to open it without cutting a hole in the interior covering?

Other than that... any other ideas.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
G

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

I tested the coil and crank sensor and found they were all ok. Put them back in tried starting it again and still no spark. So disconnected the battery and left it for half an hour and reconnected it and started it again but still no spark. The CRT fuse is ok but found that the airbag fuse had blown again. Replaced fuse and went through the processe of the smartlock reset as mentioned below. Left for half an hour came back and yep had spark and it just about fired up but the battery was to flat to start.

So after recharging the battery went to start it and found it had no spark and went through the process of resting it again, still no luck. What I did find is that the airbag fuse keeps blowing when the ignition switch gets turned, does this effect the smartlock and BEM system and will this stop it from getting spark?

If not do I just need to replace the BEM and that should fix all my problems? Thanks for the help so far it is appreciated

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ef xr6

VIC, Australia

if the fuse keeps blowing there is a short in the system you need to find it its the only way to stop the fuse blowing

EF XR6
K&N PANEL FILTER ulah, CAM, J3 CHIP, 128.3 RWKW, F6 TYPHOON RIMS, FULL TAN AND BLACK INTERIOR, CUSTOM BOOT INSTALL IN PROGRESS..
:)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next