Fordmods Logo

EF Ford Mystery Noise 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Ford Mystery Noise
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford EF

VIC, Australia

Hey Guys, First post here so bear with me.

I've got an EF Ford that has smacked out 400,000km but unfortunatly its hit a wall.. There seems to be a wierd noise coming from under the hood.. I'll put in dot form what i can to describe it
*Noise sounds like a tapping but then quickly changes to a clunking)
*Only happens when ive been driving the car for a over say 100km
* Noise is not made when the car sits idling or when i accelerate the engine
* when travelling at speed the noise is clunky and poppy
* once the problem has established itself it will continue to clunk and pop when idling but only sometimes
* Doesnt affect steering although when the pop or clunk is loud enough i can feel it through the peddles
* I put the car in nuetral and increased the revs but no noise can be heard[/list]

i took it down to the mechanics and they thought it was the tappets but i think my girlfriend didnt inform them on all the details.. they changed the oil but still it happens

Thanks Guys,

Post subject: Re: EF Ford Mystery Noise
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Big end on the way out :cry:

Time for a motor off Fleabay :)

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:22 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

What fuel is it on? Gas? Petrol?

do you know if the noise is top or bottom end?

Is the noise like an induction or exhaust noise?

do you know what a worn big end sounds like?

Does it leak oil or is it burning oil?

A popping noise through the intake or exhaust is typically a backfire issue, If its a more mechanical noise with the clunking, I would look towards the bottom end of the motor to try and diagnose, if its bearing related, just keep thicker oil in it, start putting money aside to either rebuild/replace motor or replace car. If its bottom end, and its clunking, its eventually going to be terminal, its just time.

If its top end, its only going to be valves, guides, lash adjusters, timing chain, or one or 2 other niggly bits.

When was the timing chain done? it could be worn guised and a sloppy chain allowing the cam to advance or retard just enough to develop the issue backfire issue?

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Ohh ok thanks for that.. Yes the car is on Gas/Petrol, the noise sounds like its coming from under the engine. The popping noise doesnt sound like a backfire and it doesnt seem to leak oil although after ive driven the car for a while the motor stinks so im assuming that burnt oil.

The car is falling apart with the exterior rusting and the interior going as well..

no idea what a worn big end sounds like unless someone has an audio file of it and i can tell you if its that..

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

NickyG wrote:
Ohh ok thanks for that.. Yes the car is on Gas/Petrol, the noise sounds like its coming from under the engine. The popping noise doesnt sound like a backfire and it doesnt seem to leak oil although after ive driven the car for a while the motor stinks so im assuming that burnt oil.

The car is falling apart with the exterior rusting and the interior going as well..

no idea what a worn big end sounds like unless someone has an audio file of it and i can tell you if its that..

do a search on youtube...you will find videos of big end bearing failure

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Save 2k and buy a better one.
No point spending money on a car that will need more components fixed then the cars worth.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:32 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

yeah just throw heavier oil in it, drive it gentle, once you have another car in sight with the $$to drop on it, give the old beast one last hurrah and let it go. sometimes its important to recognise when a car has had its day, otherwise its gonna be a money pit.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

ok so i went onto the tube but it kind of sounds like that but accelerating doesnt excentuate the noise or anything so what would that mean? it sounds much more clunky than what they do.. but the popping is still present like in those videos

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

ive got a mate who has an EF but not sure on the km's on the engine.. it was written off when a car hit him side on and smashed the drivers side pillar.. but if the engine is ok ill swap it in.. might need some info from you guys on how to go about that when its ready.. never done an engine swap before

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

To explain big end failure here would take up about 1/2 hr of typing, and I am not that good.

Basically. the bearing is too big for the shaft, so, when u accelerate the bearing is pressing on the "top" of the shaft, hence no noise. When you decelerate, i.e.: take your foot off the pedal, the bearing presses on the" bottom "of the shaft hence ditto.

It doesn't happen when you first start because the oil is "thick", and takes up the space between the bearing and the shaft. Idle = no noise because no "pressures" are placed on the bearing.

That is one sick big end.

It is possible to tell which cylinder is stuffed by disconnecting the spark plugs one at a time, running the engine, and when you hear no noises, that's the suspect cylinder

!!!!!!!DO NOT HOLD ON TO THE PLUG LEADS AS THE VOLTAGE CAN CAUSE HEART FAILURE!!!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
To explain big end failure here would take up about 1/2 hr of typing, and I am not that good.

Basically. the bearing is too big for the shaft, so, when u accelerate the bearing is pressing on the "top" of the shaft, hence no noise. When you decelerate, i.e.: take your foot off the pedal, the bearing presses on the" bottom "of the shaft hence ditto.

It doesn't happen when you first start because the oil is "thick", and takes up the space between the bearing and the shaft. Idle = no noise because no "pressures" are placed on the bearing.

It is possible to tell which cylinder is stuffed by disconnecting the spark plugs one at a time, running the engine, and when you hear no noises, that's the suspect cylinder

!!!!!!!DO NOT HOLD ON TO THE PLUG LEADS AS THE VOLTAGE CAN CAUSE HEART FAILURE!!!!!

so is it the bearing that grows in size or the shaft getting smaller on the inside?

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:11 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

NickyG wrote:
creeture3 wrote:

so is it the bearing that grows in size or the shaft getting smaller on the inside?

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/engines/comp/crankAssem/crankshaft.html

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 98 EL Fairmont GHIA

New Zealand

put a tub of cv grease into the motor, will last you a few more hundred k's.... whorey i know haha but stops the noises..

98 Fairmont Ghia, T5, 6 Puk Clutch, Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust System, J3 Chip, Dobi Superlows, 17's, B&M Line-Loc.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]