Fordmods Logo

EF Futura duel fuel(EL Tickford engine) no good on petrol 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Futura duel fuel(EL Tickford engine) no good on petrol
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef futura 1995

VIC, Australia

Hi guys and girls long time reader first time post.
I have bit of a story for ya if you could help out with some advice that would be great.
Story so far i have a EF futura running duel fuel (gas kit only 12 mth old) car was a freck power wise for a stock 4lt on both gas and petrol. It ran like a dream no misses no noises or clunks nothing but about 4 mth ago it had a major head drama. So instead of doing the head on the old engine i found a good second hand el tickford (ghia) motor (140ks) witch allready just had head done.
As you guys will know there are some elec changes to be made with ef-el engine swap so i stripped all elec off ef motor i.e (crank sensor,coil pack,dizzy thing, and also swaped intake manifold)so i only really used the el engine no bolt ons if that makes sense(el motor ef bolt ons).
The problem i am now having is that the engine goes great on gas hot or cold and has heaps of power on petrol only when it is cold not at opperating temp. When at full opp temp on petrol it has a bad miss at low revs and at cruising speed but stick the boot in and its fine.I have replaced plugs , leads ,cleaned out throttle body ,new air fillter checked timming but it still does it.I am now thinking of maybe fuel pump, fuel reg and injectors or do you guys have any other ideas.
Thanks Stephen

Post subject: Re: EF Futura duel fuel(EL Tickford engine) no good on petrol
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

I would agree that it is fuel related. Most of your system is used on LPG (sensors) so they must be functioning if running ok on lpg. Did you swap the good injectors from your original EF engine or did you use the injectors from the EL Tickford donk? I would try putting your original fuel rail and injectors in if you haven't already done so. My NF ran like crap on petrol (great on lpg)until I fitted new injectors.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:14 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef futura 1995

VIC, Australia

Thanks yea my thought was fuel aswell we did use ef injectors and fuel reg .Would it make a diff if i put the 300kpa fuel reg back on maybe there is not enough fuel pressure with the old ef 250kpa reg???
Thanks

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

I'd run the tickford reg for sure, see how that goes. Try swapping the injectors too, should be the same.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]