Fordmods Logo

EF Hard Hot Starting 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Hard Hot Starting
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AUII

NSW, Australia

Hi, I am having trouble with my EF 6cyl (fitted with Tickford Gas) on hot start up. It fires up as normal in the morning but when taken for a drive and warms up, after leaving off for 10 to 15 minutes the car won't start straight away. It winds over and seems as if it is flooding as there is a strong smell of fuel and smoke from exhaust on start. I have replaced the fuel injectors, plugs and ignition leads with no difference. When running on both petrol and gas the car runs perfectly and is not running hot at all.
Any help welcome and appreciated, Kym :?

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I got a similar problem where i will run it till its warm/hot and then turn it off. After about an hour or so its a bastard to start.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 EF Wagon

QLD, Australia

I had exactly the same problem. Started fine cold, a b**ch to start warm. I realise this may sound a bit odd, but the problem was solved when I bought a new battery.

Au Tickford Snorkel, XR Wheels, Redback 2 1/2in Cat-back, Wildcat Extractors, K&N Panel Filter & Kenwood Sound. Also child booster seat & biscuit crumbs.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BF XR6T Ute

WA, Australia

maybe an ECU problem, Air - Fuel ratios?

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - HOMER SIMPSON

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Mont

TAS, Australia

I have the same issue pretty much. After the cars hot and I turn her off and try to start again after say 15 mins or so it'll turn over for ages before it'll actually fire. And sometimes it'll cough and carry on. So far my friend and I have come to 2 conclusions. Dodgy lead or my coil packs are on the way out! I havent replaced the leads yet to check, but when I do I'll let you know. The battery idea is a new one, might get my batter tested too.

Apparently when you turn the coil packs off, they get hotter before they start to cool off, so if they're faulty this is where you get issues.

Sanity is for the Weak!!

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AUII

NSW, Australia

Thanks for your interest and replies, The coil pack is my next step, I will let you know next week, I thought it may be breaking down when hot, It is virtually the last part of the ignition system left as the battery is virtually brand new.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

crap on the coil pack IMHO. I had the same issues and it's probably a whole combination esp the gas converter up the sh*t. I have done a lot of fiddling with gas idle mixtures and things have improved a lot. The other thing I do now is manually switch to petrol before trying to start and it fies up instantly everytime. If engine is Hot I switch to "gas" start and again this works well most of the time. The automatic setting of petrol start /gas run sucks completely and I can never get the engine started after stalling when cold. I have been warming up on petrol for a minute or more depending how cold the weather. Re-adjusting the converter has fixed the "stalling at the first braking" issue mostly. A guy at work here had a brand new converter fitted and dynoed last week for $400 and his perrs like a kitten now. I am just too tight a*** to spend $400 but I may do the same to make life easier for my wife.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]