Fordmods Logo

EF Intermittent starting problems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Intermittent starting problems
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford TE50 Charged

VIC, Australia

Hi all not sure if anyone is able to assist but here goes.
I have an EF Futura which i bought recently and it has an intermittent start issue mainly from cold.
I have tried another ECU and a smartlock bypass kit on it and still has the same issues.
I have also cleaned the the contacts above the manifold where there are four connectors from what i remember.
I have also changed the crank angle sensor as well.
Once the vehicle is at operating temprature doesnt seem to play up. Vehicle runs smooth when running no misfiring and plenty of power so i dont think it would be the coil pack.
My mechanic put it on his diagnostic machine and it threw a couple of codes. One was in relation to the idle speed sensor and the other in relation to the powersteering sensor but i believe neither should affect the vehicle startup (Base idle screw has been increased slightly to compensate for Idle speed sensor).
When it does play up i have noticed no spark or an orange spark. Should be blue.
My mechanic believes the fuel pump is also tied into the ignition system. If this is not operating correctly it may also affect the spark. Not sure about this but i would have thought both would be independent of each other.
Basically i am at a point of clutching straws and pulling my hair out (what little i have left lol).
I have searched this forum and the symptoms point to ecu and smartlock but not in this case.
If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions i'm all ears.

Regards

Post subject: Re: EF Intermittent starting problems
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

you might be suprised and find it is the coil pack. in the EL (ea-ed) they crack at the base and water and condensation gets in and makes the short.

its a interesting way to test, but pour water over the coil pack while the engine is at temp. if the car stops, replace the coil.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:25 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford TE50 Charged

VIC, Australia

Im not real keen on pouring water over it incase it decides to not start again lol. Might have to remove it and inspect it further then make a decision to replace it or not.

Thanks for your response.

Regards

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford ef

QLD, Australia

Get a load test on your battery as I've just been through the ringer over the same thing. Poor looking spark at the time it wouldn't fire and good blue one when it would work.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]