Fordmods Logo

ef oil leak 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ef oil leak
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

hi there , i have a oil leak at the front of the motor in a 95 ef, i thought it was the front timing cover balancer seal and replaced it , but leak is still there, it seems to be leaking on drivers front of engine as alternator is oily and oil running down lfront lip of sump,but a bit hard to tell as the belt is flicking oil around, is there any common areas on the front of the motor that would cause this problem? any help appreciated

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

have ya checked this one cos on my el it leaked from this bolt when i put it all back together

Attachments:
P1080197.jpg
P1080197.jpg [ 88.95 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

sure its not power steering? i'd say give it a degrease then run round the block and try to see where its coming from.can tell if its power steering by smelling it(it has a distinct smell)and it usually retains a redish colour.

Post subject: Re: ef oil leak
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

ed1 wrote:
hi there , i have a oil leak at the front of the motor in a 95 ef, i thought it was the front timing cover balancer seal and replaced it , but leak is still there, it seems to be leaking on drivers front of engine as alternator is oily and oil running down lfront lip of sump,but a bit hard to tell as the belt is flicking oil around, is there any common areas on the front of the motor that would cause this problem? any help appreciated

most likly power steering pump, very common

any oil on the front of your head?? my 3.9 rocker cover gasket is leaking towards the front. Common on boxcars but not sure about EF's with the different rocker cover :?

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

timing chain adjuster bolt o ring can die and piss oil everywhere as was the case on mine

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Post subject: tensioner bolt
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

is the bolt in the pic the tensioner bolt? , if so can i take it out and replace the o ring without upsetting anything? cheers and thanks in advance.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

that bolt in the pic i did it up real tight but the thing leaked so it was taken out and some silastic was put over the thread and was put back in left to set the no leak, maybe able to put a gasket type washer there, worth a look if ya have had that bolt out the mechanic said it was very common.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

im pretty sure ya can take that bolt out without upsetting everything someone here shoul;d be able to tell ya more than me

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

tensioner seal is leaking by the sounds of it. just make sure you don't lose any of the little shims when you pull it out.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6T

WA, Australia

front of engine ?
umm, get mechanic to check all o-rings and your oil sensor switch - mine busted a few months back. the part cost 10 bux.
hope you fix it soon friend

Old car burnt.
New car XR6 Turbo !!
No mods, anyone want a xr6t ?

Post subject: leaking tensioner
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

hi there , i think the tensioner bolt may be the problem, there is a hex headed plug that screws into another fitting that has 2 small holes in the end, how do i tighten this fitting as it is impossible to get any multigrips or such around it? , can i screw this fitting out and put some sealer on it to stop any leaks without upsetting the tensioner?, any help appreciated , thanks

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

you're best off removing the power steering pump and getting the correct socket (12 or 13mm i think). the multi grips will stuff it up. it's in there tight too.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:39 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Im battling a leak which answers to same description, exactly.. ends up on RH front lower corner of sump, but is falling down from above, not from sump itself, even though gasket has gone hard.

I have recently posted a thread about an oil leak suspected from the front right corner of the sump, and how to get sump off engine in car.
People gave info, about removing k-frame under sump, , i wasnt relishing doing it.

One final investigation of this, with the alternator bracket off to improve view, shows its not coming from sump, but from above, but not far above. Ive watched it run with a n old HQ mirror head down there to watch where oil comes from.

Believe it or not, seems to be coming from the water pump bolt position where water-pump meets block, the bolt at about the 4 oclock position adjacent to timing case. Unable to say yet its not from the nearby timing case, but actually seems to be from the water-pump bolt, and yes, this trails down like a snail trail, onto the extreme drivers corner of sump and block, from there onto the x-member or tie-bar,runs along horizontally there until there is sufficient build-up and from there naturally, onto the ground.

This makes little sense to me, that there is even any oil circulation behind that water-pump bolt, would expect it tobe either dry or a water-jacket not oil-jacket point, but it seems pretty clear to originate from there, and undoing that bolt, bolt itself is coated with wet oil.

Funny thing, running the engine with the bolt OUT, revealed no oil now exiting, but a small weap of green water, now the pressure is off the WP gasket, i guess, but why would the oil now STOP, with bolt out altogether?

Ive tried to put goop down the hole, and on bolt, and do it up, time to test this morning when goop is dried sufficiently, hope goop doesnt goop somethign that actually needs to flow behind there.

Obviously if this fails, strategy is removal of water pump and proper replacement of the WP gasket with sealant as well, which isnt hard..ive now partly stripped front of engine anyway, hunting this oil leak.

OP, this is not first mysterious oil leak from engine front Ive had to track and deal with, a much larger one than this, was traced to the timing case bolt, running along it, its the timing case bolt that the alternator brace tube-type bar pivots on.
Oil was pissing along this, when I bought car. Soaking alternator by running along the bar from the TC to the alternator, and soaking most of the rest of the RH front of engine, actually.

As readers have told you, PS pump and hose connection is also a big chance, of course, the fluid should have a tell-tale red colour, but Ive been through the elarning process of curing this presssure hose connection nut of leaking as well.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

A new O-ring from Ford is about $3

Member Number 8804

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:45 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

thats a clean engine bay in desheps, isnt it?

Painted the RC red like the old falcon 60s 70s engines..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next