EF safe from theives? 

Page 1 of 7 [ 96 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: EF safe from theives?
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

was under the impression that the smartlock made it quite hard to steal...ie cant be hotwired but can bypass smartlock with a new barrel and 30min to wait....

But it seems to me that a theif isnt going to wait around like that!!!

but ive looked at the racv stats on stolen cars and the EF/EL is a very popular car to steal...

so how are the theives stealing this model? r they forcing the locks/ignition barrel itself? or hotwiring/bypassing the smartlock?

if it is easy to force the barrels then what can we do to guard against this??

I realise that

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:02 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I don't think anyone is gonna tell you how to start an EF or EL quckly without the keys or using the above listed method. but yeah I found out the same as well too..

I went to get my car insured recently, I had to get an imobiliser fitted or I would not be covered for theft..

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

we'll put it simply that when it first came out smartlock was one of the best systems going around, but as with everything it has gotten old and people know how to break it, so to stop your car from getting stolen get an alarm.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: eb gli

VIC, Australia

the only thing is car alarms wont stop some people from stealing your car, it just depends what they are stealing it for. ie, joy ride, parts, getaway car, revenge, and so on.
i know people who drive cars with there alarms going off

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

no car is 100% steal proof however you can make it hard, alarms are only good for getting attention, my opinion get and immobiliser (2 stage) and also put in some manual kill switches in hard to find locations, think outside the square, ignition and fuel pump are the best for switches but hide them well.
fit a decent alarm with GSM messaging and GPS tracking if your that paranoid, from memory a decent alarm to do this would start at about $700 hundred.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

my old corona had the best immobiliser ever ;)

underneith the floor mat there was a key hole with a special cut key, you have to put the key in and actually turn the fuel line on and leave the key in there while driving..

i actually forgot myself at times when in a rush, i would get about 100m and the car would just stall

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

I dont think getting an alarm is going to do much....Ive seen an autoelec (and a s**t one at that) disable one in 30sec...

I suppose you cant stop someone breaking in....theyll just smash a window if they want....its just having my car go completely missing that is the really bad thing..

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

Quite often they just break into the house and get the keys. People leave them in such obvious places.
Much easier to take a car if you have the key, and a lot of people don't secure their houses nearly as well as their cars.

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

hehe i sleep with my keys :) how would you go about chucking in your own kill switch to the fuel pump?

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: S2 TI R31

VIC, Australia

Put a switch up to your injectors so they cant even get 100m down the road. You could also setup a delayed alarm which gives them time to get inside then blast them with the lowest tone imagionable!

- mike

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

yeah but i dont want them to get 100 meters away, i dont want them to be able to start it at all :) or would it be more simple to have someone install an imobolizer? iv heard somewhere that smartlock doesnt like imobolizers??? how much are they anyways to install and everything?

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

I installed my alarm system myself, but I didn't do it the bodgey way that most car alarm places like Autobarn and Bris Car sound do it. They are pushed for time, and they like to simply zip tie it under the dash in the easiest to find position most of the time. They did my EB just before I went on a long holiday (cause I didn't have the time to do it myself), and they actually zip tied the ignition KILL relay UNDER THE STEERING COLUMN!

If you want a job done right, do it yourself. Yes, immobilisers are easy to bypass - if you can access them. To make it VERY hard to bypass, put it somewhere where they can't get in a hurry. My alarm is very well conceiled, the immobilizer section is under the hood, and the hood deadlocks with the doors. If its locked by remote, forget about popping the bonnet and driving it away without doing some serious damage to the bonnet mechanism to pry it open.

You could also put your system in the boot, under the parcel shelf, and when its locked by remote, have the system disable the wire that runs the boot latch solenoid. I have LPG, so no one is going to crawl behind the back seat (before you thing that!). Since its in the boot, it can disable the fuel pump, and its not going to go very far at all.

I've done quite a few custom alarms for people, so if anyone wants some tips on custom "tricks", PM me with your sitiation and i'm sure I can fine an easy way to do it.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:35 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Stealing any smartlock equiped car is pretty easy.

I think a few members in here can agree with that.

A decent flathead screwdriver and a hammer would be all that was really needed. :(

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

Mohekn wrote:
yeah but i dont want them to get 100 meters away, i dont want them to be able to start it at all :) or would it be more simple to have someone install an imobolizer? iv heard somewhere that smartlock doesnt like imobolizers??? how much are they anyways to install and everything?

just pop the bonnet and take out the starter relay, they wont get far at all without that baby in!

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

there is no such thing as a unstealable car, although once i did see a car on the gunnis book of records show that had 4 side pipes on either side thay shot out 3 meter flames activated when the door handles were open. i allways wonder what would happen if ya locked the keys in there and the alarm had auto lock after 60 seconds. i had a falcon with auto lock , pain in the a*** if you unlocked and didn't turn the ignition after 1 minute the alarm would go off, once got a cd out of it, left the keys on the seat shut the door went inside the house, took me ages to get back in thing with the alarm sounding the whole time

Last edited by fastleno on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 7  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next