Fordmods Logo

EF Speed Limiter 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Speed Limiter
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

I know this has been asked a million times already but the other threads dont answer the question, just turn into a b**ch fest about why anyone needs to remove it.

I have a ef that is used only as a drag car. It has 3.45 diff gears and hits the limiter at 163km/h around 50m from the end of the track. Is there another way of removing the limiter other than a J3 or the shiftkits.com kit? The car has been done on a very low budget and I would like to avoid paying $100+ to remove it. The speed gear drive from Ford is no longer avalible and would still have it on the limiter at 176km/h with the current tyre size.

I have disconnected the speedo but this puts the auto in limp mode and it will not shift out of 1st.

Post subject: Re: EF Speed Limiter
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

SquishEF wrote:
I know this has been asked a million times already but the other threads dont answer the question, just turn into a b**ch fest about why anyone needs to remove it.

I have a ef that is used only as a drag car. It has 3.45 diff gears and hits the limiter at 163km/h around 50m from the end of the track. Is there another way of removing the limiter other than a J3 or the shiftkits.com kit? The car has been done on a very low budget and I would like to avoid paying $100+ to remove it. The speed gear drive from Ford is no longer avalible and would still have it on the limiter at 176km/h with the current tyre size.

I have disconnected the speedo but this puts the auto in limp mode and it will not shift out of 1st.

Have you tried a 3.89 speedo gear ????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:11 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you can still buy the correct speedo gear for the 3.45 ratio..i brought one from peterwarren 6 months ago

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
you can still buy the correct speedo gear for the 3.45 ratio..i brought one from peterwarren 6 months ago

I tried to buy the speedo drive today and was told they are no longer available. Part number I asked for was XE17271F. This was at power ford

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 pm 

NSW, Australia

Which ford dud you try? Some will just tell you they are no longer available becsuse they are on the discontinued list. But dont look to see if any dealers still have stock...otherwise try ebay under ford speedo drive gear / Mustang t5... you can get them from usa aswell as the mystang uses the ssme gear.. you just need a 22 or 23 tooth gear..

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Can always pull one out of an auto or manual xr6 transmission second hand seeing as your trying to be a cheap a***, try an ad on here to see if anyone may have a wrecked gearbox kicking around the shed. Ive thrown 2 xr6/el fairmont ghia autos out with speedo transducer still in tact

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:53 pm 

NSW, Australia

Actually after posting above I went to ford to get a cluster globe for my odometer in the au and i asked about the speedo gears and they are still available..
he didnt have one in stock but could have got it overnight....
So who ever told you they are no longer availabe is a C**k because they are still available..

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:42 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

SquishEF wrote:
Grab an EA/EB series I BTR 4 speed TCM, wire it in to control the auto. Keep the speedo signal disconnected from the ECU.
IIRC, only the police and South African export ECU's have no speed limiter from factory.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]