ef thermo fans into ea 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ef thermo fans into ea
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 88 EA Falcon

VIC, Australia

wondering if anyone help me?

im looking at putting ef thermo fans into my ea.

if i do so, would i have to change the water pump, alternator and power steering pump?

also what wiring harness modifications would be needed for the alternator?

Post subject: Re: ef thermo fans into ea
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

El thermos are easier than EF thermos...

Question is, how are you going to trigger these?

I am running the std 3 belt set up on my ED with EL thermos... They fit fine... I acquired an EL engine harness... Cut all the thermofan wiring out... I'd already added in the EL fuse block under the bonnet so I had the fuse space for the thermo fan fuse, so put the pin into that and run the wiring around the engine bay, I pulled the dash out and run the trigger wires down to the computer... And then fitted an EL computer with a j3 chip originally to make them work...

What are you getting at with regards to wiring changes to the alternator?

See my build thread (link in sig)...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i was going to wire them to the accessory fuse in the underdash fusebox and missile switch on the dashboard.

in regards to the alternater, i tried to swap my alternator with an ed alternator and found that the main plug was different.

im looking to do away with the clutch fan as its a nuisence.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

There were two types of alternator IIRC... One was a mitsubishi type and the other was a bosch? I thought one type used a patch harness to adapt the plug you could remove to suit the other alternator? If not it's only two wires, yo could cut the plug off and solder the later plug on... One wire excites the stator and other is for the dash power fail jewel...

You'll have to fit a relay, or most likely two because no switch or reasonable size will handle the belting those thermo fans will give it... You'll find yourself forever replacing burnt out switches... And no accy wire in the car will give you the amps you required without starving voltage to the rest of interior components... This is why the std thermos have the fuse under the bonnet which is picked straight off the battery positive, runs around the radiator into three relays which achieve two fan speeds...

Personally, IMO... You'll end up cooking something if you don't automate the fans... If you want to fit a bypass that's fine, but no cooling system should be full manual in my opinion... Fit a termperature switch, or a dual switch and use two speeds and then a trigger off the ac for control to keep the pressure down in the AC system...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Batten Performance Tuning did a wiring kit to fit EF or EL thermofans to earlier cars. That kit uses a screw in thermoswitch (goes into one of the blanked holes in the thermostat housing) - runs one fan with the aircon and then cuts both in at a certain temp - and failsafes to constant running. In my ED the whole setup worked great - and that was in Northern WA. The "kit" includes loom + relay block (munts in same place as EF relays - in front of airbox) + thermoswitch - and they used to offer the fans as optional supply as well. The beauty of that setup is it looks after itself without having to do an ecu change or anything like that.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

thats sounds pretty good. i was looking at putting the ef alternater, power steering pump and harmonic on me ea to reduce used space...

as for the aircon... i had it removed as it had no gas in it and i prefer fresh air...

do the people that make those kit have a website?

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Speedy88EA wrote:
thats sounds pretty good. i was looking at putting the ef alternater, power steering pump and harmonic on me ea to reduce used space...

as for the aircon... i had it removed as it had no gas in it and i prefer fresh air...

do the people that make those kit have a website?

Yep, they're BPT Motorsport - you'll find em in the commercial sponsors list that's at the top of the page when you click on "Forums"

EDIT: Here's the link to their cooling fan kit - http://www.bptmotorsport.com/Thermo%20Fan%20Kit.htm

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]