Fordmods Logo

EF XR6 - Running on 5 cylinders? Help! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: EF XR6 - Running on 5 cylinders? Help!
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

My EF XR6 wagon is running like it has dropped a cylinder - rough idle and running, lack of power. Engine shakes hard on acceleration. Originally did it for about 5 seconds after a cold start, then went away. Now does it all the time, but seems to get noticeably better once up to normal operating temp.

So far:
- have checked plugs: all good colour, gap & condition, no fouling
- replaced coilpack and ignition leads
- swapped idle speed control solenoid
- tested MAP sensor
Nothing has made any difference. Injectors cleaned (out of car) 20k ago. Oxygen sensor replaced 30k ago.

Has anyone had this prob before? Or recommend what to check next? Thanks very much for your help.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Did you do a compression test before you replaced all thoes parts. ?

Peform a compression test. Note down all the values.

Then peform the test again after you put 200ML of oil in each cylinder before you test it. If the compression increases its your rings. If no change its the valves.

Also. Start engine. Disconnect each fuel injector untill you find the one that does not affect the bad idle. When you find that cylinder put a 5watt globe across the Injector plug and look for a pulse of light. It will flash frequently. If thats ok reconnect the fuel injector and use a old spark plug on the cylinders lead and look for a spark.

You would most likley have a bad crank angle pickup if there is no spark on just that single cylinder.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

make sure you're not losing any coolant as this could indicate a head problem

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

just a stab in the dark but sounds like you have blown the head gasket. pretty much exactly the same description as when the head went on the EB.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

mine did this when it snapped a timing chain guide.... sudden loss of power and responsiveness as well it started running crap.

just an option for you to check

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
just a stab in the dark but sounds like you have blown the head gasket. pretty much exactly the same description as when the head went on the EB.

What he said, happend to my brother EBII and sounds like the same thing.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Thanks, garsiph. I followed your advice and found it. I disconnected the injectors one at a time and found that Cylinder 1 was the problem. Swapped the injector for a spare I have on hand, and the problem didn't go away. Checked the injector wire and was getting voltage to the injector. Swapped two spark plugs around, and the problem moved with the plug.

All that work, and it was just one spark plug breaking down. Doh! It was still giving a spark when checked, so I didn't suspect the plugs. Just not enough spark to fire the mix.

Have put in a spare plug I had sitting around, so she's mobile again. Putting a set of NGK ZGR6Bs in tomorrow. Time to retire the Autolites (985s) anyway. Something like 50,000kms on 'em.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys (and gals). All's well that ends well.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
Thanks, garsiph. I followed your advice and found it. I disconnected the injectors one at a time and found that Cylinder 1 was the problem. Swapped the injector for a spare I have on hand, and the problem didn't go away. Checked the injector wire and was getting voltage to the injector. Swapped two spark plugs around, and the problem moved with the plug.

All that work, and it was just one spark plug breaking down. Doh! It was still giving a spark when checked, so I didn't suspect the plugs. Just not enough spark to fire the mix.

Have put in a spare plug I had sitting around, so she's mobile again. Putting a set of NGK ZGR6Bs in tomorrow. Time to retire the Autolites (985s) anyway. Something like 50,000kms on 'em.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys (and gals). All's well that ends well.

Mate exactly the same happend to mine...... did the same tests as what u did i had replaced the plugs 3000kms before with genuine ford parts and no 6 plug was f**k. i couldnt belive it.... s**t ford parts

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

i have had problems with crap plugs breaking down before... champion are not so champion at all.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Only use NGK spark plugs, thats all we use in our workshop and never have any problems with them.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:37 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Im glad it was a lot easier than you thought.

When I find a bad cylinder like that I pull the plug after running it for a little while and check if the plug is wet. If its wet the injector is normally okay. Swapping injectors is to hard hehe.
Then I try the plug, Then a comp test and after that a gas test of the cooling system. But 99% of the time a cracked head gaskit affects more than 1 cylinder.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]