Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Egas FG engine into BA?
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I have an option to get a 70,000km FG egas engine very cheap.

My BA XR6T runs liquid injected LPG and only uses petrol at all for the first 30 seconds after starting.

Three questions if I may.

1. Will all the BA bits and intake manifold bolt straight to the FG block or are their differences I don't know about?

2. Can anyone see any issues with the FG engine used in a turbo/LPG scenario? It has the stronger rods which is the attraction for me.

3. Is there any benefit in putting my BA XR6T head on the FG block? as I understand it the BA turbo head and springs are just bog stock BA aren't they?

any thoughts much appreciated..

If I'm going to do this, I'd like to do it while I'm putting the 6 speed in.. kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

regards

Frank

Post subject: Re: Egas FG engine into BA?
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:14 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

one problem you may come across is because fg are front sump.. so when you fit the ba sump to the fg the dip stick provision for the rear sump is not cast into the fg block..

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Odd.. I've seen lots of "FG F6 motor into BA" Type things.. and this is never mentioned.. wonder how they got around it.

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Just watched a clip on youtube.. apparently FTG put a BA dipstick and sump on the F6 FG motor they sold to a Ba owner.. they must drill the block out to fit the dipstick in.?? Also apparently you have to put a small cut out in the drivers side engine mount to get it to bolt on but other that it's all good. I think I'd want to do the intake manifold too at some stage though because its apparently way better than the BA/BF job.

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

some FG's have the dip stick provision in the block but its got a plug in it. You can swap the sump, girdle and pick up from a BA to the FG motor. Then either cut the bolt lug off or modify the engine mount for clearance.

FG's dont have the stronger rods like earlier Egas engines. I have seen a Egas engine put in as a turbo engine and it pinged its head off on over about 5psi of boost....LPG will help a bit

FG egas engines use the B series head so no real advantage there. Manifolds etc all bolt up the same.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

macxr8 wrote:
some FG's have the dip stick provision in the block but its got a plug in it. You can swap the sump, girdle and pick up from a BA to the FG motor. Then either cut the bolt lug off or modify the engine mount for clearance.

FG's dont have the stronger rods like earlier Egas engines. I have seen a Egas engine put in as a turbo engine and it pinged its head off on over about 5psi of boost....LPG will help a bit

FG egas engines use the B series head so no real advantage there. Manifolds etc all bolt up the same.

I didn't know ford stopped using the tougher rods in the FG.. Did they stop worrying that backfires would bend rods. (I read in ford boss interview that some of the egas BA prototypes bent their rods which was why they swapped to the harder ones.. Maybe the FG system is refined enough that backfires were no longer an issue. No point in me getting the engine though if its no better than the BA one.

Thanks for the info guys... Seems I might be better getting a BF EGA's or just getting a low km BA BF FG and just putting new turbo pistons and stronger rods in it.

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

macxr8 wrote:

I didn't know ford stopped using the tougher rods in the FG.. Did they stop worrying that backfires would bend rods. (I read in ford boss interview that some of the egas BA prototypes bent their rods which was why they swapped to the harder ones.. Maybe the FG system is refined enough that backfires were no longer an issue. No point in me getting the engine though if its no better than the BA one.

Thanks for the info guys... Seems I might be better off getting a BF EGA's or just getting a low km BA BF FG and just putting new turbo pistons and stronger rods in it.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It's not that ford stopped using the stronger rods, it's that they used the stronger rods everywhere except the petrol N/A engine.
That started during BA2 from memory.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I spoke to the guy, he says that the early FG engines used the same EGA's engine as the BF2, it has the green rocker cover and stuff.. Its cheap enough that I might just grab it anyway.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]