El ECU wont read 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: El ECU wont read
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The saga continues with the El auto! When I had the auto serviced, the bloke said there was nothing wrong with the auto that he could see, and when he tried to chuck it on the diagnostic the ecu would not read. I am thinking the auto is going into limp home mode because the ecu is stuffed, but is there any other reason the ecu would not be able to be picked up on diagnosis? I have checked the ecu terminal and it seemed firmly seated and terminals were clean. The screw holding the brace was a tiny bit loose so I made sure it was tight, the earth wire was on the outside of the brace ( is this correct placement?). Just thought I would throw it out there before I replace the Ecu, any advise would be great people
Cheers
Rob

Post subject: Re: El ECU wont read
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

This website explains what to do if you cant get codes from the computer:

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=44

Try that and let us know how you go.

Gab

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

earth wire sounds like its in the right place, also check the earth from the battery to where its mounted on the engine, make sure its got a good clean connection and tight that can cause limp home mode

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

That link that was posted was great, not too savy with a multimeter, but I did check the earth wire like bry had said, seemed nice an clean but gave it a real good clean just in case. Pulled the connections off the nbeg terminal and cleaned them as well. The missus has taken it shopping to Katoomba, about 30 odd k's away and I have asked her to check to see if it goes onto limp mode then. Will post what I find. The neg wire connection under the p/s did have a little oil on it so maybe that might have fixed it. I am thinking if it doesnt it might just be the ecu. It has 320 on the clock and the previous owner had replace the whole cooling system and had replace the coil and all fuses, so maybe either the ecu got a decent surge before the coils s**t itself of maybe the cooling system had been replace due to an internal leak that had gone on the ecu? I dont know. Giving me the s**t's though, and I am not auto elec. Ill see what else I can do on the list Gab sent if it keeps going into limp mode and will give an update when I can. Thanks guys, with this problem the auto is not the only thing going limp if you know what I mean

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]