Fordmods Logo

EL Engine Probs. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Engine Probs.
Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

My mate just called me and was telling me his EL (4.0 auto) has broken down. This is what he told me: There is a loud knocking sound coming from the lower left side of the engine, It's blowing black smoke and it is near impossible to start. When he does manage to get it started the only way he can keep the engine going is by having his foot flat to the floor but then it dies again after about 10 seconds.
Can anyone shed some light as to what may be causing it?
Thanks.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 Falcon Futura Wagon

VIC, Australia

I'm assuming that he hasn't done a big end or anything and the knocking was there before this happened. If he wasn't revving the tits off it, try the coil, if he was, it's probably cam timing.

First, check the coil condition, by taking the center lead off the dizzy, and holding it about 5 mil away from a good ground (you'll need to pull the rubber surround back to expose the metal). Have an assistant start the engine (obviously it won't start) and watch the spark, if it's blue and strong, it's not the coil, if it's yellow, the coil's buggered.

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

As far as I'm aware the engine was running smooth and quietly before the car broke down this arvo. He doesn't rev the hell out of it which is good but I know that in the past it has been a bastard of a thing to start some times.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Could be a cracked head at worst or just a head gasket gone. Oil getting into the cylinder and burnt off creating a black smoke. Pull the spark plugs out and see which one is covered in crap. Also, check the oil level to see if its gone down since.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just got a call from my mate and he said there is coolant seeping out from between the block and the head. There is no water in the oil and there are no bubbles in the radiator when the car is started. I reckon he may have blown a head gasket between the cylinders.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:59 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 05 BA MKII XR8, 95 EF gli Wagon

NSW, Australia

Quote:
It's blowing black smoke and it is near impossible to start. When he does manage to get it started the only way he can keep the engine going is by having his foot flat to the floor but then it dies again after about 10 seconds.

this can also be caused by the vaccum line to the map sensor being dissconnected.

has happened to my eb before.

Bucko

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My mate had the mobile mechanic out to look at his car and when he took the rocker cover off there was broken bits of steel all over the place so he needs another motor.
Anyone know of a place that has a reco EL 4.0? Or maybe a low Km used motor? It has to be located in Melbourne because thats where my mate lives (Heidelberg).

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41237

tell him to buy that! after just having an engine rebuilt myself, thats a fantastic price!

R.I.P. Scotty

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]