Fordmods Logo

el engine rebuild, price? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: el engine rebuild, price?
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU XR6

NSW, Australia

how much would it cost for an el xr6 engine rebuild?

Post subject: Re: el engine rebuild, price?
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

depends on where you go, fully reco, done in a engine shop, $2000??

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:20 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

depends if it's a stock rebuild or performance enhanced.

Not sure on total price, but an ACL Race series rebuild kit is about $1000...not sure if that includes parts for the head. To do a head gasket at the shop, can set you back $1000 or more including labour. I have priced doing a rebuild myself and it would have set me back about $1500 (not stock rebuild) in parts...not including extras for the little things.

Fair bit of labour and also depends if you're going to remove the motor yourself and drop it off or just park the car at their garage and let them do everything.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:26 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

My recent build just set me ack in excess of 6k, but that includes forgies, spool rods, blueprinting, balancing and all machining, complete head rebuild, and all the other fun associated things. No labour was included in this price as I did the build. Head had some porting to clean it up, but not really removing material just a tidy up and getting rid of casting, New spun welded valves were used. Sort of lost track a bit of what went in, but I know the $'s added up fast once I went for the bits I did.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

BUT to be a bit more helpful, an ACL rebuild kit is about $1000 as mentioned, you would be looking at about $1100 for machining and a complete head rebuild with new valves, If you intend on putting it together yourself, there is also the cost of the consumables, A new belt, about $50, oil, run in oil, $40 + filter, then semi synth oil + filter. all your little bits like thread lock, wire wheels and what not for cleaning up all the various threads.

I think a realistic figure could be about $2300. thats to do it yourself. engine shop at 2k will be reusing your pistons and salvaging any other bits they can.

One word of advice, while you have the engine out and getting built, NEW OIL PUMP.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
BUT to be a bit more helpful, an ACL rebuild kit is about $1000 as mentioned, you would be looking at about $1100 for machining and a complete head rebuild with new valves, If you intend on putting it together yourself, there is also the cost of the consumables, A new belt, about $50, oil, run in oil, $40 + filter, then semi synth oil + filter. all your little bits like thread lock, wire wheels and what not for cleaning up all the various threads.

I think a realistic figure could be about $2300. thats to do it yourself. engine shop at 2k will be reusing your pistons and salvaging any other bits they can.

One word of advice, while you have the engine out and getting built, NEW OIL PUMP.

oil pump,water pump,therostat,hoses,gasket set,etc-----crate stock exchange motors go for $2500-3500 with full warranties,plus extras to get the warranty---changing any poor condition parts,hoses that can fail with the new motor.i cooked the 302 v8 2 weeks ago,i took a week and a half of work to remove the motor,strip it in my mates work shop.clean and measure the parts in the motor-result was pistons shrunk .007 thou,cam bearings picked up and scored,mains and rods where blue on the shells,i head was cracked.the block was bored recently in the las few years so the bores looked ok.so-new pistons and rings,water pump,all new bearings,gaskets,timing chains,head bolts,block honed .002 thou to fit pistons,decked on both sides\was warped,second hand heads,then serviced and decked,plus extras cost me just over $2000 and no labour costs.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]