Fordmods Logo

EL Fairmont Died while Testing New Driving Lightsq 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Fairmont Died while Testing New Driving Lightsq
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Ok here is the Story,

Laste weekend I fitted a LED Light bar to go in conjunction with my HID Driving lights, I finished wiring up the Isolation swith today to allow me to run just the LED light bar or bothe the LED and HID at the same time, While I was testing them and checking the Charging voltage the LIGHTS started flashing on and off on there own, I turned the off and and all came good for a short time, It did this about three time and on the third time I turned off just the Driving lights to start with and left the headlights on High beam and the continued to flash a few time more when all of a sudden the engine stopped and the lights stopped flashing but were still on high beam, I turned the lights out and went to restart the car and :( the car would not start.

I made sure of all the fuses were all ok, Checked the relays, Fuel Pump is pumping up fine, I then went to check the spark and no Spark at the plugs, I checked the voltage at the coil and yep it has 12v and so does the dizzy, I think I will repalce the coil tomorrow and see if I get some spark back.

My main worry is why the lights were flashing and if this is what caused the car to die or kill the coil.

I did a code check on the the computer and I showed up the following coded

511, I then removed the J3 Chip and this one disappeared. (maybe as J3 is over riding settings)
796 Which is only for GIHA not for my Fairmont
696 Trans Solenoid 6 Fault not sure what issue this causes.

If anyone can shed some light on my issed that will be good

Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Died while Testing New Driving Lightsq
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Great News, Looks like the coil shot it self. I am wondering if it was arching out and casuing a load issue to make the lights flash?? I have run the car for a fair while and lights are all good. The engine seems to be running smoother and seems to have a bit more go as well. Will wait and see how it goes next weekend when I travel to Brisbane.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]