EL Fairmont missing on acceleration 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Fairmont missing on acceleration
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1969 XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi all,

I have an EL fairmont ghia and all is well except i am getting a small miss when i first press the accelerator at idle if i press it while the revs are up it is fine also it does hesitate to start when it is really cold for the first crank but then its ok.

Does anyone know what it might be i have done MAP, temp sensor, MAP hose, distributor, fuel filter, injectors, leads, spark plugs and i have checked all the vacuum hoses they seam fine.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont missing on acceleration
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Checked your coil for cracks ????

This was an EL coil.....those cracks are under the mounting bracket.

Attachments:
IMGP3963.JPG
IMGP3963.JPG [ 272.4 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Sounds a lot like you are getting lean misfire. Here's a few things to try:

1) Check THOROUGHLY for vacuum leaks - they can be notoriously small and hard to find. Spray Brakleen or similar flammable parts cleaning spray (not degreaser) generously along every cm of vacuum line, and every cm of gasket or other join between the throttle body and the head, and around each fuel injector where it enters the manifold. A leak will suck it in and the revs will rise.

2) Check your oxygen sensor. Unplug the sensor connector and reset your ECU (by unplugging the ECU for a minute, or disconnecting the battery for half an hour) to clear the fuel trims. If the problem goes away, your sensor is probably stuffed.

3) If your injectors haven't been cleaned in a while, start by throwing a couple bottles of injector cleaner in the tank and filling up with 98 octane (more detergents). Ordinarily, the oxy sensor will allow the ECU to compensate flow for dirty injectors, but there is a limit. If they are too dirty, the engine will often run lean, and this may be enough to get them back in range. Otherwise, pull them out and get them professionally cleaned.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Hi,

Thanks for the replies i forgot to mention i have just changed the coil and had the injectors serviced as well.

I will try the idea of the vaccum leaks to see if there is a problem and the oxy sensor idea.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I should have mentioned that if you are testing for a bad oxy sensor, you have to leave it unplugged after resetting the ECU. So you are testing how the engine runs without feedback from the sensor. If it runs fine without the sensor, then it is the sensor that is the problem.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
I should have mentioned that if you are testing for a bad oxy sensor, you have to leave it unplugged after resetting the ECU. So you are testing how the engine runs without feedback from the sensor. If it runs fine without the sensor, then it is the sensor that is the problem.

O2 sensor shouldn't cause missing under acceleration. A bad o2 sensor will cause the car to run richer but I believe it wouldn't cause a miss.

You'd have to look elsewhere. Ignition/fuel obvious areas.

You said you replaced the distributor, is that the cap or the whole unit. If the whole unit...is everything aligned correctly and the timing set?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Sorry for the late response. Yes the whole distributor was changed and everything was set correctly i have also checked all the vacuum lines, i think. I am seriously running out if ideas this is driving me nuts it is so annoying.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Oh one other thing i forgot to mention i was listening to the engine in the engine bay the other day and i noticed when you rev it quickly and let go you get this weird whistle sound like a little blowoff valve sound kind of but i cant figure out where the sound is coming from. Is this normal?

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

ferr007 wrote:
Yes the whole distributor was changed and everything was set correctly

was the drive teeth changed to one from engine??

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

no it wasn't i didn't think it need it as the distributor was a brand new genuine bosch one from Ford also the miss was there before the distributor change i changed the distributor to try and fix the miss but it turned out to be the same.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Some dizzys have been known to chew the aux shaft if the dizzy gears have been swapped, (so i heard, correct me if im wrong), id recommend swaping them so its all matching just for safe measure, :wink:

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Last edited by Falcon96XR6 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ferr007 wrote:
Oh one other thing i forgot to mention i was listening to the engine in the engine bay the other day and i noticed when you rev it quickly and let go you get this weird whistle sound like a little blowoff valve sound kind of but i cant figure out where the sound is coming from. Is this normal?

Sounds like you have a vac leak.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]