Fordmods Logo

EL FAIRMONT. pointers 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EL FAIRMONT. pointers
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL FAIRMONT

WA, Australia

so i picked up a stock one owner FORD EL FAIRMONT with full service history with only 150,000km's on the clock. and the bloke was 69years old.

and im inlove with the old girl. coming from previous cars like an MX6,Forerunner etc etc.

these straight 6's are an absolute pleasure to drive and the gearbox is amazing.

and i have already claimed my first victim. my mates VY berlina...rolling at around 60, snapped 2nd both got the power on. pretty equal but once i hit 3rd i was pulling away effortlessly.

first things are..the fairmont shocks..like that off an old series calais i imagine they have been sponged up for comfort or something off the like, and as you can imagine THERE DANGEROUS AT SPEEDS.

also the intake design, it looks overly restrictive. perhaps oppt for an EL GT intake design. and change out that twin pipe intake they have sitting up top with something.....?

next would have to be the cam, what would be a reasonable mid range aggressive cam, give me a bit more uptop with out being ridiculous at high speeds? i do alot of hwy cruising

i have heard the exhaust is also incredibly restrictive on falcons? is this true, in which case any recomendations?

any advice would be helpful thanks :D

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

search function mate

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

dw raptor is being a C**k, realize his new?? thought we were suppost to encourage new members so they stick around. the search funtion is a hunk of s**t and cant type 2 letter words what would he type in ef mods, ef intake, gt intake, end rant :)

Welcome to fordmods mate. good to hear your in love with the falcon (Y) top effort. there are a f**k of threads on intake exhaust, cams, flows ect. on herejust gotta learn how to use the search but i dunno how to use it haha. sounds like u go a half decent car there (Y) wack some photos up.

exhaust manifold is really restrictive and would suggest replacing with a set of pacemaker extractors. the cat is fine, go for a 2.5 inch exhaust with 1 muffler and one resi and it will be plenty loud ;)

intake : people go for a 3" stainless steal intake to replace the plastic one from the airbox back. just a single tube that takes the same sort of shape, also advice to get an ef intake box lid as they flow better than the el ones, also change the snorkle from the stock to a tickford one or xr6t snorkle 40.00 from ford ;)

cams ; we have a couple of sponsors on the site who make cams, Wade mos common i would say go for a wade 1636 cam its the largest cam u can use on the stock ecu and auto unless u put a high stall in.

suspension : want a stiffer ride go for superlows all round with shortend shocks. there are alot of manufactures out there, king springs, pedders, billisten's (spelling) being the main brands people use on this site. but still remember its a family sedan not some lightweight jap s13 ect.

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

is second alright after you snapped it.. what did you snap. i take it that shes an auto? can yo teach me how to snap second cause it surely sounds cool.. just kidding and good luck.. i had an el fairy-mont but i put a 5 speed in her and then youll definatly be pulling away from most cars...

if the bar aint bendin your just pretendin

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I don't know about sports exhaust on stock engine.

My EF has extractors and HAD a 2.5" exhaust. It was like that for a couple of years until the exhaust rusted and I decided to go back to a stock standard one.
I love how quiet it is now, still has extractors, but the hushed noise has a very subtle rumble to it at idle. And thats what I like.

But the thing I noticed right away was, the back pressure of the so called "restrictive Falcon exhaust", has given me back, low down, lower rev torque. It is a little more effortless to drive now. Which was something I wasn't expecting.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]